1: Before

"Yunji! you'll be late if you don't hurry up you know?" mom hollered from downstairs. I quickly wore my socks and my school shoes. I looked in my full-length mirror and smiled to my reflection. I don't really know why I feel this day is very exciting and different. I hurried my way downstairs.I grabbed my bag from the cabinet and wore it on my back. I went to the kitchen and pecked my mom's cheek.

"You're not gonna eat breakfast anymore honey?" mom asked and I replied: "No ma, I'm late already." I said and went to the living room and kissed my dad's cheek but he was too busy with his laptop so I just went out without his remarks anyway. I understand he's too busy with his work. Nothing's new.

I took my bike and wore my helmet then flew my way to the school which is only 5 blocks from our house. I didn't bother parking my bike in the right place and just ran to my classroom. I am so in trouble. When I reached my room, I quickly opened the sliding door and everyone froze in shock.

"A-annyeong..." I said with awkwardness in my voice. The teacher flashed a weak smile.

"Please have your seat Yunji." the teacher said.

"Why so late Yunji? I'm not really used to this." the teacher said, writing my name in the tardy's list. I bowed my head.

"M-mian...The chess tournament ended late yesterday. I didn't get enough sleep." I explained. the teacher nodded and continued teaching.

"Psst." I turned and saw Nayoon, my best friend.

"Congrats." she smiled.

"Thank you." I said. I won another gold medal last night at the chess tournament. Seriously, I don't even remember how I got there!

***

While Nayoon and I were having our lunch, the speakers roared.

"Paging Ms. Kwon Yunji to the principal's office immediately. Paging Ms. Kwon Yunji to the principal's office immediately. Paging Ms. Kwon Yunji to the principal's office immediately."

We both froze. What did I do wrong? OMO...I am so dead. I looked at Nayoon with a scared look. She smiled and nod her head, signaling me to go on.

"I'll be back." I said and packed my things.

At principal's office...

I knocked three times before I enter the office. Once I opened it, the principal was there comfortly seated on his chair.

"Ms. Yunji, have a seat please." he said politely as I closed the door behind me. It smells like freshly printed papers in here. And it's very cold too, maybe because it's spacious?

"I have an urgent matter to discuss with you Ms. Yunji." he said with a smile.

"No need to be formal sir, you can simply call me Yunji." I said and smiled. He snickered.

"Okay-Yunji...I have an urgent matter to discuss with you." he repeated.

"OMO...what trouble did I cause sir? " I asked curiously, full of fear. He laughed.

"U-uh..." I was dumbfounded why he was laughing.

"No need for you to worry, instead, be really thankful. I know you know you are the best in your batch right? You rank 1st in our charts."

My mouth formed an 'o'. I didn't know actually but I just nodded.

"You received a special scholarship to Seoul University. Congrats!"

I paused. Really? Or maybe this is a joke? But a principal would never joke...

"W-wow..." I just told him.