36: Jieun's Next Warning

Everyone was lined up on the stage, hearts pounding, waiting for the final winners to be announced. Yunji was there, staring down at the floor. The voice of the lively MC was the complete reciprocal of what she could describe herself: dull. She felt numb. She felt lifeless. She felt so confused she didn't know how else to react.

What's there to happen next?

"Yunji." She had heard Baekhyun whisper against the loud music. She slowly turned to him. He was half-smiling. The familiarity of his angelic smile made her heart swell. How long am I gonna continue to hurt this precious guy?

    He didn't deserve any of this pain. Not from her. Not because of her. He didn't spdeserve it. Yet he accepted it wholeheartedly because he loved her. He loves her and she doesn't because his lost brother has her heart now. Everything is so fucked up she didn't have a choice but to blame herself.

   Without her, things would've been so much easier. Maybe Taeyeon wouldn't even have to face these conflicts either. She would just be in Yeosu, studying, probably laughing with Nayoon at the canteen. And maybe- just maybe - a cute boy arrives in their village and they end up together. Things would've been so simple if she stayed there. A messed up lovestory and family along with social status was the last thing she needed in the world yet here it is before her, toying with her life as she crumbled to pieces.

"It's gonna be okay." her heart clenched in pain when Baekhyun told her this, "You're gonna be okay." He reached for her hand and intertwined their fingers. A tear seeps from her eye and she couldn't help herself but to hold his hand the tightest she has ever held him.

"I promise." He caressed the back of her hand with his thumb. The warm, comforting feel of his palm against hers atleast made her calm down.

    She faced the crowd once more and Hongbin was there, yelling her name with his poster. She could see V at the corner of her eyes, staring at her, blinking so slow as usual, as if memorizing everything his eyes land on. She looks away as soon as his eyes drop at her linked hand with Baekhyun. She can see Suzy, seated with her other classmates. She caught Yunji's eyes and briefly flashed a smile. Her eyes then wandered to the girl beside Suzy- Jieun.

    For a very long time, she saw Jieun again. How long has it been since tey had a decent talk? Her warnings. Her constantly terrifying warnings. She was to be avoided since she really crept Yunji out. But there she was, staring bat at Yunji. Jieun's eyes were rheumy, her lips slightly shivering. Her eyebrows almost met with the way her face contorted in an unexplainable emotion.

"Step away." Yunji read her lips. Her face creased in confusion.  Was she to talking to her?

"Run." Jieun mouthed once more. Her eyes were glassy, tears attempting to spill from her sockets. Yunji could see her shivering.

   Yunji looked around. The contestants were all smiling to the camera. So she was talking to her? Baekhyun noticed her unsteady figure and looked at her.

"What's wrong?" He whispered. Yunji's lips fell apart but she couldn't voice her thoughts out. Baekhyun's face creased even more. She turned back to Jieun and now Jieun has her eyes squeezed close and her hands covering her ears. It was as if she was expecting a loud bang.

"Yunji." he demanded. Yunji's head snap back to Baekhyun.

"J-Jieun. She's..." She looks back to Jieun and she's still there, balled up.

"She's what?" Baekhyun tried to track where Yunji's eyes were.

"She—"