35: Pieces

play the video above before reading!! Wait until the pre-chorus hehe

Third person's POV

Chorong's voice is muffled in Yunji's ears. It's like she can hear her talking but she can't understand a single thing. She's blankly staring at her reflection as the makeup artist tries to mend her face. Good thing she was second to the last to perform or else she'd be performing with smudged makeup on.

"You are a disaster! Do you hear me? Look at yourself—" that's all she could hear and everything else is a blur. Yunji gulped and tried to digest everything that happened before she was even a 'disaster'.

The more she thinks about it, the more her heart clenches and the more tears wanted to pour out. It was like she's being choked to death by what's happening. She inhaled sharply when an image of V crying infront of her flashed in her mind. He looked like a kicked puppy. Like a helpless beggar. Everything that's pitiful. He was so pitiful. And vulnerable. For her. Her eyes shut close and her lips heaved a sigh.

"We'll talk later." Chorong said, her voice full of authority mingled with worry. Yunji doesn't answer.

There was much time before her piece. Currently, Baekhyun was performing. It was great knowing that he just came from a fight and even managed to perform as if nothing happened. Still, he made the girls scream his name and hit the notes perfectly. His soothing voice was as usual, amazingly heavenly. But that soothing voice didn't make the ambience light. It made Yunji's heart heavy. She felt like his words pierced through her heart. It's stabbing her with every word.

"I know, even when you act like nothing's wrong
I know that you're waiting
In your lips that try to smile, there is sadness
But I can't do anything about it
I can feel it

It's alright, don't say sorry
You just being next to me is enough
Don't do this
No, fine
I'll just listen to how you feel

I'm not your man
But watch over me (I need you girl)
I'm not your person
I can't hold you but I'm a man
With a large back to take you home
I'll take you home
Lean on me"

Yunji tried her ultimate best not to let her tears resurface. She gulped the lump in her throat down.

She thought she and Baekhyun were finally resolved. She thought he will finally let go after knowing about Hongbin. But why is he still doing this? Why is he making it hard for both of them? She knows he's hurting as much as her so why is he still doing this? Why is he being such a martyr?

They will all cause you pain even if it's the person you trust most or love most. You just have to choose who's worth suffering for.

Like a broken stereo, Baekhyun's answer in the Q & A echoed in her mind as if reminding her. Yunji shut her eyes close and inhaled sharply.

No, Baekhyun. I'm not worth suffering for. I don't deserve this.

A part of her is raged out. The two were passing her like a beach volleyball. She was like an innocent lamb being offered from one place to another until someone is worthy enough to claim her. How can they do that to her? How can V just do that?

Who is he to say that she'd be happier with Baekhyun? Who is he to declare that she didn't need him? Who is he to meddle with what she truly wanted?

Aish, V.

She likes V. That's something she can admit. She doesn't know since when or how. But she does. She knows that. She used to like Baekhyun but she knows she's toxic to him. She had to get rid of it. It wasn't gonna do any good for neither of them. And then V showed up. V... Kim Taehyung... The guy who always caught her when she fell. The guy who wiped her tears dry when she was in agony. He was always there. Everytime.