Chapter 1: ✔️

Chapter 1: The Forgotten Best Friend

*18 years ago*
(Autumn and Louis are both five now. They are twenty three in this story.)

( EDITED ) ✔️ 9/18/16

Autumn's POV

I smell pancakes! I love pancakes! Mom always makes them on special days! Today is my first day of school. Like real school. I can't wait! I slip on my little black dress shoes over my white ruffled socks. I already have my outfit on because mama picked it out for me yesterday. I have on a light blue puffy dress that makes me look like Cinderella! My hair is in two high tails on top of my head and I grab my Barbie book bag. Ohhh yeah I'm styling.

I skip down the hard wood stairs and run around the corner into the kitchen. My mum stands there with her long brown hair tucked into a messy bun and her shoulders were slumped. I run up to her and tackle her legs. Since I can't actually reach her...she's like a giant.

She jumps in surprise. She says,"Autumn you have to stop doing that. One day your going to give mummy a heart attack and you don't want that do you?"

Mum having a heart attack? No!

"No mummy I'm sorry I didn't mean to! Please don't have a heart attack!"

She turns away from the stove and droops down to my height. That's when I noticed her brown eyes are watery with redness surrounding it. Her shoulders are slumped in defeat and she has dark bags under her eyes.

I bring my small hand up to her cheek. "Mum what's wrong? Wait, where's dad?"

She sniffs and says,"Daddy left for work earlier today. He has a lot on his mind."

"But are you okay mum?"

She pushes a stray strand of hair behind my ear. "Yes baby girl I'll be okay. So...who's ready for pancakes?"

My whole face lights up, forgetting about what happened a couple seconds ago.

"Me! I want some!"

"Wait what's the magic word?"

"Pancakes?"

"No."

"Dog?"

"Nope."

"Crap?"

"No. Watch your language! I will wash your mouth out with soap if I have too."

"Sorry mummy."

"I'll give you a hint, it starts with the letter "P" and end ends with "lease."

"Oooohhhh....PWEASE!"

"That's it sweetheart here you go."

She stacked my plate with two small pancakes and I layer it with syrup. Once I was done eating mum cleaned the dishes while I waited by the door impatiently. I wanted to go to school!

She soon came out and we headed out of the house. She strapped me into my big girl seat. Mommy said I'm lucky to have a seat like this. It means I'm a big girl now. Mum hopped in the front and started the car.

Once we arrived at Wilkins Elementary school the nerves hit me. I suddenly got nervous, wait will mommy stay with me? What if the kids don't like me?