Ch. 14 Tear

It has been a few days since the shadow figure appeared and those two idiots tried to break into my loft. I had called in sick for this whole week, luckily I always plan ahead for everything, so all the substitute would have to do is hand out worksheets and tell them to read specific sections in their books, for both classes. I haven't slept since that day though, and right now I'm huddled up in a ball on my bed, with a tank and sweats on, reading a mythology book on fairies. It was funny looking at what the world thought about us. I've been in bed for a while, though. I really haven't done anything besides plan for the week after next's assignments.

Once I was finished with my book I heard a soft knock at the door. I groaned a bit before getting up and walking downstairs. I glanced at my phone in my hand. It was only 12:00 p.m. Well everyone is at school, except... I walked over to the door and waited a moment, before I heard another knock at the door. I opened the door slightly and I saw Derek. Once he saw me he gave a small smile and his eyes became so gentle, that I almost actually considered openeing the door all the way.

I gave a weak smile, "Hey, sorry I'm a bit busy. I'm sorry for the other day as well, I was-"

Derek cut me off, "It's OK. I get it, you don't have to explain anything to me. I just came to check up on you. I heard from everyone else that you called in sick for the entire week. I just want to make sure you were alright."

My eyes widened in shock. He came over to check on me? Not to pry into what happened? My eyes softened, "Mm, I'm fine. Thank you for checking up on me." Why is he showing me concern? Why is he so worried about me? I don't understand. I've been so mean, in lack of a better term. So, why?

I hadn't realize that my eyes started to brim with tears. I finally broke away from my thoughts when Derek placed his hand on my cheek and caressed it lightly. My eyes widen again, and I placed my hand on top of his. I few moments passed between us and we just continued to stand there in that state of comfortable silence.

I broke the silence, "I'm really OK, you know." I blinked back the tears.

"I know you are," he said, words laced with uncertainty.

His hand fell from my face down to his side as he turned and walked away. Why? I don't understand him. His actions never make any sense to me. Why does he do such things like that? Another voice was urging me to talk to someone, to talk to him, to at least let him know about my worries and frustrations...to let him in. Before he could reach the stairs I called out his name. I was now standing outside of my loft as he turned around and waited for what I was about to say.

"Could you maybe stay? I think I'm ready to talk about that day," I shifted ever so slightly in my spot.

Derek for the second time today gave me a small smile, "Sure." He walked back to me and into my loft.

In my loft, he walked up my stairs and to my bedroom. I was a bit flustered by this, but I followed shortly after. Once I got up to my room I saw Derek patiently waiting for me, sitting at the edge of my bed. I knew he wasn't the type to take advantage of someone that easily, so I comfortably sat beside him.

I breathed out a sigh, "OK here goes nothing... You see my wings still right?"

He nodded his head, "They've been flickering, though."

"I know," I sighed, "they are slowly going into a state called 'Hidden in plain sight'. In this state a fairies wings will seem invisible to both themselves and to those around them. Really what's happening is that the wings themselves are manipulating the light around them so that it just passes through the wings without actually giving off any color. I only know this now because I was taught such things when I was younger...before I lost my memories."