Chapter 26.

"I don't know... You?"

The guy laughs. Even in his drunken state he's noticed that that was a strange answer. "How can you not know that?"

"Well, I don't know because two days ago he called me a slut but I kind of might have kissed the boy from before."

He has leaned forward to hear me better, allowing me to throw a glance under his white v-neck shirt. He's wearing a silver steel necklace with a cross. The stomach below is tan and muscular.

"Do you surf?"

"Well yes I do. How did you know?" I take a sip from the red cup Jamie has brought me. I'm way too sober to talk about stuff like that with a stranger.

"Your body looks like it," I say while smiling at him innocently.

He laughs cutely, showing me the dimples next to his incredibly out sticking jawlines. "How does my body look like it? I might as well just be going to the gym."

I shake my head. "No you're not muscular enough for that." Wow, that drink is already kicking in.

He uses his hand to streak back some his short brown hair, which is absolutely unnecessary. But haven't we all been a bit tipsy before? "Would you like me better if I did?"

"No, not at all." I shake my head to strengthen my opinion.

"Good. So... What even is your name?"

"Gemma. Gemma Hood. And yours?"

"I'm Carter. Carter Wellington." Wow, what a snobby name.

"Do you still go to school?"

"I'm at UCLA, but I kind of want to transfer to somewhere else, where my parents aren't around that much. And you?"

"I still go to high school but right now I'm here for a two week trial at Colburn."

"What instrument do you play?"

"The piano... How old are you?" I don't really want to make a big deal out of my talent.

"Play something for me?"

"I... I'm not very good at playing the piano."

"Come on, there's one in our living room. You have to be good at it, otherwise you wouldn't be able to come here for a trial. Come on." He takes my hand and pulls me up.

I try to get away from him but fail miserably. "Come in, you play concerts. You can't be that unwilling to play."

"I just don't want to, okay?"

He smiles. "I don't care." Before I can think about this answer, he picks me up and throws me over his shoulder.

While we're walking to the living room, where there's standing a white grand piano, I pound my fists against Carter's back.

"Can you stop that?" He asks laughing.

"If you put me down I will."

"Fine." He does just that, but of course I've landed in front of 52 white and 36 black keys.

"I'm not playing."

"Come on," he whines playfully. "It's my birthday afterall."

I sigh. "Fine." Why does it have to be his birthday? "You can choose one song, as your gift."

"Yay." He rubs his handpalms against each other, as if he was thinking.

"I can play any song, mostly." I inform him.