Chapter 1.

I'm going through my literature stuff while sitting in an uncomfortable position on an armchair.

The noises around don't distract me at all, but I don't get this damn subject into my head. I keep forgetting answers to the questions we've already discussed and I know this whole thing will end up bad when my mother finds out about the grade I'm getting for this.

"Is this seat free?"

The question pulls me out of my thoughts and I look up to meet a pair of light brown eyes.

The tall guy is wearing jeans, a shirt and a jacket. He definitely doesn't care much about what he's wearing, but he has cute little dimples which make him look innocent. Not like the people I usually am around.

Putting my white hair behind my ear, I look around the Starbucks to find out that the seat opposite me is the only empty one.

"If you won't annoy me then sure."

He smiles and nods, which makes his dirty-brown curls bounce up and down.

I shake my head and dive back into my work again. The guy in front of me pulls out a notebook and when I glance at it, I immediately recognise the sign on the front cover. He must be in the Roosevelt High School as well.

"You're in RHS?" I question and look up from the notebook into his face.

"Yeah," he smiles. Will this guy stop smiling anytime soon? "But only since three weeks, when the school year started. I moved here during summer break."

"You're not from here?" I should have noticed this before. His thick accent has to be from far away.

He sighs. "No, I'm from Sydney."

I make big eyes. It's horrible to move so far away.

"I'm sorry," I look away.

"Why sorry?" he asks and I turn my head to look at him once again.

"Because moving half across the world is shit," I laugh and he joins me.

"You're not from here?"

I shake my head in response.

"No, my family moved here from Hawaii when I was seven."

"Dang, that sucks."

I nod. Even though I don't really think that way. My skin is pale and fits better to Seattle than to Hawaii.

When I start studying again, my new company doesn't do anything with his stuff, he just keeps observing me. I try to concentrate as hard as I can, but it just isn't enough. After twenty minutes I give up and look at him again.

"Done?" he asks.

"No, someone keeps distracting me so I can't concentrate." That isn't true, but I don't want to admit that I'm just too stupid to study for literature.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to distract you."

"Okay fine," I groan. "I can't keep these things by my heart and I don't get it. I'll fail this exam." The words leave my mouth before I can stop them.

I wait for the boy to say anything, but instead he just starts laughing. I roll my eyes. What a funny thing to laugh about.

"Aww... Come on, shall I help you?" he asks when he sees my face.

I frown. Why should a boy get this shit? Literature is something for girls and I don't even get it.

"What? I'm a senior and I like literature so don't be an idiot and let me help you instead of failing the exam. I'm Ashton by the way."