Chapter 25.

The next day passes by fast without me even really taking part in it. I live in some kind of a trance today.

Mr. Ross is quite astonished after I've finished playing the song he gave me for punishment. I think he doesn't like me a lot. I decide not to tell him about Jamie and I though.

During the day I don't really pay attention in my classes. In the cafeteria I can't find Jamie so I sit down next to Nick. He's actually quite okay. A bit of a nerd but you can't find anything else here. We talk about a lot. Mostly Jamie.

I approach Jamie before he enters the chemistry classroom and ask him if he has prepared for the test. The look on his face tells me otherwise.

"I'll try to help you."

We actually do have an exam. I've grown to know how and when teachers decide to make a surprise test and I'm very grateful for that talent.

The moment I look at the first question of the test I know that Jamie is fucked. My attempt to help almost makes me be thrown out of class though.

"Ms. Hood, this is test is meant to be taken individually by every single one of you and not to be working with Jamie here."

"I'm sorry," I mumble, "my neck is a bit sore and I was stretching it." The worst lie I've ever come up with. Even the uptight students from here laugh at me for it.

"Please do your stretching season afterwards and focus on the test now, okay?"

I nod and dive back into work. I've finished the test after quite a short amount of time and I'm even able to check the answers afterwards.

I do have to check them, since this was really the first chemistry exam I've had in which I didn't struggle with any type of exercises.

At the end, I'm the last one to exit the classroom.

While I'm packing up my backpack, Mr. Smith asks: "How'd it go Gemma?"

I nod. "Quite good actually. I did my homework yesterday."

Mr. Smith smiles. "See, when you change the way you look at things the things you look at change."

I don't really get the link between my situation and that quote but I quite like it though.

"Yeah. See you Mr. Smith."

"Yeah. See you in class."

When the day's finally over and Jamie and I have enjoyed our lunch, we go back to the practice room and work on our little concert.

The remaining days of the week pass by like that. We practice every evening since the both of us are really ambitious about convincing our teachers to the opposite, that we're great at playing our instruments, no matter how we look.

Before I even know it, it's Friday evening and we're lying around in our bedroom.

I haven't heard anything from my parents in the past weeks. I texted with Calum here and there, told him about the A I got in chemistry, but I'm sad that my family isn't really interested in me.

I mean, Jamie facetimed with his little siblings already twice this week and he got to speak to his parents.

Sometimes I wish I was like that, a family person.

But then again, I play a huge role in my family life. And it's probably me who doesn't fit in.

I'm the one with white hair, the one with drug addicts as friends, the one who gets bad grades. I don't fit to Hawaii and not to my family's healthy lifestyle.