Chapter 2

MARY'S POV

I quickly shower and wrap myself in a towel. Gosh, I love track. It feels as if I'm able to run away from everything and anything. Run until I can barely breathe. Run until I feel alive.

As cliche as that is, it's true.

I went to my backpack and pulled out the slip of paper Kevin gave me, and am shocked to find out that he lives only about five minutes away from me.

The clock reads 5:37 p.m. Quickly, I grab my stuff, put on my clothes and head out. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throughout the entire drive over there, I couldn't help but overthink even the tiniest detail. Every second made me extremely nervous. But before I'm able to ponder any of my thoughts any longer, I'm at Kevin's house. 

Well, it looks normal. That's a good sign. 

Grabbing my backpack, I headed to the door and knocked.

A middle-aged woman with short hair opens the door.

"Hello, may I help you?", she asks in a sweet tone.

"Hi, I'm here to see Kevin...we have a project to do.", my fingers fumble on my backpack strap.

She looked flustered at first, but after a second, she smiled,"Oh, of course. Kevin told me you'd be coming by. Come on in."

I step into the house and take in the scene. It's a very clean and fairly large house.

And by large, I mean damn huge. It's almost a mansion.

"What's your name dear?", she asks,"You can call me Eva."

I smile,"I'm Mary. I just moved to town just a couple of days ago."

She gives me a sympathetic look,"Oh. It must be hard to move to a new school in the middle of the school year like that. By the way, are you hungry? Could I get you anything?"

"No, thank you.", I politely reply,"Not very hungry right now."

"Alright.", her back is turned whilst cutting vegetables,"Well, Kevin is in the backyard..."

I notice that her hands were quivering. Very slightly.

Confused by her hesitation at the mention of her own son's name, I just head try to ignore it and outside.

 As soon as I walk outside, I'm very surprised to see what's in front of me.

It's Kevin, doing archery.

And he's not wearing a shirt... I could see the sweat glistening off his body.

 He raises his bow and arrow, slowly pulling back the arrow. It's dead silent and I don't dare make a noise. Two seconds go by until he let's go, sending the arrow whizzing through the air, until it buries itself in the center of the bulls-eye. As soon as he finishes firing, he looks over at me.

"Let's get started.", he said.

I nod and realize that I'm staring at him again; and pry my eyes away from him.

I follow him up the stairs and into his room. It's not very big, but it's not too small either. Very cozy. Kevin sits in his computer chair and turns towards me. 

"So.", he says, grabbing a shirt out of the closet and putting it on,"What do you want to know."

"Well.", my fingers fumble to open my back-pack,"We need to write about things we like and dislike. Soo....what do you like?", I ask