fifteen

River and I stomped the whole way home. It was starting to cool down, the evening breeze soothing the burns on our necks from earlier in the afternoon.

I was mad. No, I was more than mad. I was furious. The entire way home my fists were clenched tightly, soon loosing all feeling I once had in my fingers. I was mad at the police officer for speaking to River like that, no way did River deserve some cranky to-good-for-you old bag to speak to him like that.

Even though I was frustrated, I wanted to stay mature about this. There was no point in throwing a hissy fit and just hoping I got what I want.

"He didn't deserve our time anyway." I said to River. River had been trudging along, kicking his feet into the cement and not talking.

He looked up towards me and said,

"Why couldn't he have just told us? Why did he have to be so difficult?"

"I don't know." I sighed. River looked down, punching his fist into his open hand.

"Who could have taken her anyway?" He asked.

I'd been thinking about this since we left the station. Kate had no family and barely any friends in Canada, she'd only been living here a few months with me. The only person that would have bailed her out is me, and I know for sure that I never did.

"I don't know." I repeated. River exhaled heavily out of his nose before stopping.

"I just don't understand why everything has to be so confusing." He babbled. I instantly felt sorry for him. I'd forgotten that he had concussion. Heck, he didn't even remember me and he was trying to make me happy. That stupid police officer had the nerve to speak to him like that.

"I just as confused as you are River, it's okay." I said, putting my arm around his shoulder and squeezing him into me.

"I don't understand anything," He continued.

"And nothing makes sense." He added.

"It's okay." I comforted him. He turned, putting his arms around my neck and resting his heavy head on my shoulder. I could feel his warm, damp cheeks pressing against my skin and e quietly sobbed.

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Nancy." He announced. I think I laughed so much that something came out of my nose.

"I'm Sidney." I giggled.

"Oh, right." He mumbled. River tilted his head in shame and ruffled his fingers through his long hair.

"Well, I don't know what I'd do without you, Sidney." He tried again. I laughed.

I put my hands behind his ears, locking my fingers in his hair. I lifted his head up, his face was red and puffy.

"I love you, River. I really do." I told him. I placed a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"I, I think I love you too." He replied. I laughed again.

"I'm sure you'll remember everything soon enough." I told him. He nodded, before hugging me again. I felt so safe in his arms.