twenty nine

Why Kate and Joaquin were together, we didn't know. In the end, River and I decided not to follow their instructions and head off to California. We figured that whatever they were after was not worth going over for.

We thought it was best leaving them alone, too much had happened in the past weeks between us that it was not worth making anything worse than it already was.

River and I settled in Toronto, we moved into my old house. It didn't feel strange anymore, being back in Toronto. It felt like home, I was with the one I loved most and that was all that mattered.

River got used to Toronto, too. He said it was better than living in California. He reckoned the whole atmosphere was better.

We both found work, and we were earning truckloads of money, or at least what seemed of it. But somehow we seemed to spend it all in childish ways, like buckets of ice cream at a time, and visits to theme parks at midnight.

River and I spent a lot of time together, too. He seemed to be a fan of spontaneous dates, so most the time we would end up searching for tadpoles, at 3am in our pyjamas, or something similar. Although it wasn't always convenient, it was thoughtful, and that's what I admired about him.

Sometimes I got scared, and I had visions of the night Kate attacked River, or sometimes the blackouts I experienced. Whenever this happened, I told River. He would hold me until I stopped shaking, and I felt safe again.

I couldn't believe someone stuck with me for so long, that someone cared so much for me. He had gone to so many extreme lengths for me, it was unbelievable. He dropped everything and travelled across the seas for me, more than once. I loved him so much that it hurt, and I knew he felt the same.

Every day, night, and many times in between he would remind me how much he loved me. It made my heart feel like it was exploding, I remember it all so clearly.

Some nights we would stay up late and watch the stars until the early hours of the morning. I would lay with my head in his lap while he stroked my hair, until I eventually feel asleep. Then he would wait with me until I woke up, he wouldn't let anything get to me.

Even though we were alone, we knew we had each other. I never thought I would lose him, from the way he said,
"I love you."

Sometimes it all felt too good to be true, I mean, he was all I could ever wish for. He was perfect in every way. I could see us together in 50 years time, sitting on rocking chairs out on the porch and laughing together. But all good things have to come to an end, right?