I Think You Know the Answer to That

Finals week at Gallagher Academy is probably the most intense time of year. In the halls you'll overhear students reciting the order of wires to cut in order to disable a bomb. Or you'll hear students practicing a speech on which modern age director of national intelligence is the best. You'll also see boards in the library that look like crime boards, analyzing famous missions to decipher what they could've done differently or better. It's my favorite time of year to watch, not to experience. With that being said, it's almost over. So far, I think I've done relatively well. There haven't been too many exams I've been worried about. Our Cov' Op final is tonight, then tomorrow we find out if we've been invited to Sublevel 2. I genuinely feel like I'm going to puke; I'm so nervous. I'm not quite sure if it was because of the nerves, the excitement, or the fact that I'm not going to be working with Tyler again after tonight. Personally, I think it's an even mix of all three factors.

To be honest I don't have time to think about what this means for Tyler and I at the moment. Tyler already works for government agencies. He's a field agent. I'm still working to get to that point. Therefore, this Cov' Ops mission means more to me than it will to him. I have to pass in order to make it to Sublevel 2. I can't fail or my future as a real operative is over. But really the only thing I can do to prepare is go over all my previous missions and analyze where I went wrong or what decisions I should've made but didn't.

That's what I hate about Cov' Ops exams. You don't know what to expect, which means you can't study for it. Last year's final exam left me with a broken leg. A different mission got Jerry shot. So, really we're meant to expect the unexpected. It's so frustrating, but that's kind of the whole point of Cov' Ops. You won't be able to study for the real field. You just have to take what's thrown at you. Just like in Cov' Ops, you have to expect the worst to be able to handle the best. But what if I'm not able to handle it?

"Hey, Ela. Are you ok?" I heard Jess ask.

"Yea." I mumbled looking up at her.

"Are you sure? You kind of blanked out and then started biting your fingernails." Dee added, glancing up from her book. I looked down at my fingers and slowly pulled them out of my mouth.

"I'm a little on edge, that's it. I'm worrying about the Cov' Op exam." I admitted.

"I'm sure you'll do fine." Bri said, patting my leg.

"Hey, where's Jade?" I asked, realizing she wasn't here.

"She went to the gym to work out with Jacob." Jess answered, stretching a bit. We have been locked in our room for a while. Maybe Jade had the right idea. Some fresh air would be good for me.

"I think I might take a walk. I'll be right back." I rolled out of my bed and headed towards the door. I walked out and slowly meandered through the halls. I walked to my favorite thinking spot. The little hidden library. It's quiet and secluded, plus the huge window allows for the perfect amount of natural light to flood into the room. It's a great place to sit and think things through. I don't think anyone uses it besides me, because I've never seen anyone else in here. I looked out the window for a while. The warmth and growth of the summer was evident throughout the grounds. I sat on the windowsill with my back against the small piece of wall on the side. I leaned my head against it just taking in the beautiful sight that was before me. I heard footsteps enter the small side room.

"Hey Snow." He said a brilliant smile appeared on his face, causing his eyes to turn bright. He's so cute when he smiles.

"Hey Charming." I said, returning his smile.

"May I join you?" He asks, taking a step closer to me.

"Yea, of course." I moved into the criss-cross sitting position to make room for him. He walked over to me and sat in the same position as I was. We stared at each other for a while before I cracked a smile.