Come in Boys

I stirred from my slumber as a beam of sunlight crept into my room and hit my face. The warm and gentle touch of the sun's rays lulled me out of my peaceful sleep, but my tranquility was short-lived. My three roommates jumped onto my bed, jolting me awake from my dreamy state.

"Someone was out late last night." Jess hummed.

"And I've never seen this sweatshirt before." Jade added holding up his sweatshirt and tossing it at me. I barely caught it before it hit my face. In the midst of me trying to run away from him before saying something I'd regret, I must have forgotten to give it back to him.

"I will tell you what happened, but don't interrupt or ask questions until the end." I had to provide background information so I explained to them what happened at the museum up until me sneaking back into our room earlier this morning.

"You're going to be upset when I say this, but that was actually pretty cute." Dee cooed.

"Please don't start." I grumbled, I knew my roommates were going to do this. They are all hopeless romantics, even Jade who tries to hide it.

"A rocket ship simulation? Really?" Jade laughed, her voice tinged with amusement. "And Snow?"

Ignoring her teasing, Dee gushed, "I think it's cute. The simulation was adorable. And, Snow White and Prince Charming, the teen spy version. That could be something."

As the conversation died down, I announced, "Alright, storytime is over! We have to get ready for school."

My roommates groaned in unison, "Besides, he and all his friends made us fail our mission yesterday. They can't be that easily forgiven, and they definitely can't be trusted!"

I retreated into the bathroom and began my morning routine, starting with my usual skincare routine. My hands hovered over the concealer, but I ultimately decided to apply just a little. I mean, I did have a late night, and a bit of blush would add a rosy glow to my cheeks. A single swipe of mascara would help brighten my eyes and draw attention away from the bags from not sleeping. And a touch of lip gloss would bring the whole look together.

I tried to convince myself that I wasn't doing this for him, but I knew better. I was doing this for myself, trying to look presentable and feel confident. Madame Dabney always said that a lady should look her best at all times, and I wanted to live up to that standard.

I slung my school-provided backpack over my shoulder and waited for my roommates to finish getting ready. I absentmindedly rubbed my lips together, making sure the lip gloss was evenly applied. It was going to be an interesting day.

The halls of the school were loud, with sounds of giggling students, feet shuffling, and girls speaking at least 15 different languages to get in our daily language practice in. The morning sun shone through the tall windows, casting a warm glow on the polished floors.

As we approached the great hall, the smell of bacon and eggs wafted through the air, making my stomach rumble. We took our usual seats and recited the pledge that we said every morning, reaffirming our loyalty to Gallagher Academy.

Suddenly, our headmistress, Rachel Morgan, cleared her throat, signaling for everyone to pay attention. "Before we start breakfast, I have an announcement to make for the sophomores," she said, her voice carrying across the hall. "You girls will be joined by a couple of guests for the rest of the year." She smiled. "Come in, boys."

"Boys?" Every girl in my grade, beside my friends and I, yelled in unison.

I couldn't help but feel a rush of curiosity as the doors to the grand hall swung open. The sophomores from Blackthorne Academy walked in, two by two, their footsteps synchronized and their posture impeccable. They looked like they belonged in a military academy rather than a spy school. At the front of the group was Charming.