A Firebolt, A Fight, and A Surprise

Chapter 8

Sasha's POV

I stood among a group of students that were trying out for the new chaser position on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. I was one of them and Ally was too. I wasn't sure how it was going to work out with me and her competing against each other. Especially how she was great with handling her broom, but I was more quick minded and agile.

Plus, the other day she got a Firebolt from her father, so everyone was surrounding her, admiring it. I was kind of by myself, bored to death. I just wish they would start the darn tryouts! Fortunately, they began right before I almost blew my head off!

Oliver, the Quidditch captain, went over the instructions on what they would be doing. They would throw in a Quaffle ball, along with the two Bludgers. They were to experience what a real match feels like. If they were trying out for the chaser position, and got the most points by throwing the Quaffle balls into the goals, they would get the position.

Oliver got us all in a line and we all faced the field. Oliver blew the whistle, and we were off! Luckily, I was able to get the broom into my hand right away, because of multiple practice. Ally and I were the first up. I grabbed the Quaffle ball first, and headed for a goal. I threw it straight at it, but I didn't even think of the keeper that came out of nowhere and stopped it from going in.

He threw it back out and Ally caught it. She spun around the field trying to lose me, which kind of worked. Not because she was better than me, because her broom was faster. It was so not fair! She got back to the goals and scored, because she was too fast. Eventually, everyone else got out onto the field, yet the ball kept going between Ally and I.

I was starting to run out of time. I could tell Ally was going to do the same thing, go around the field again. So, I prepared for it. I mapped out a plan to take the ball away from her. I would pretend to follow her, then snake around when she wasn't looking and steal the ball!

She did the turn around, I cut over and stole the Quaffle ball from her. I raced over to a goal, saw that Oliver was about to jump up, I faked a throw, and threw it into a different one. It worked, and Ally and I were tied! We had about a minute left and I had to use this time wisely. Oliver threw the ball in the air, and Ally and I reached for it. Neither one of us got it, and someone named Ava got a hold of it, but missed the goal!

Oliver blew the whistle. "Alright people! Times up!" Everyone sighed. We all flew to the ground to find out who got the position.

"It seems we have a tie with Ally Conners," Oliver started. Everyone gave a round of applause. "and Sasha Firestone!" I got a smaller applause, but I didn't care. I was pretty confident that I would get the position.

"I'm sorry, but our team will have to talk first. Please stay while we decide," Oliver said.

The group gathered. I heard multiple people say that Ally should get on the team, because of her broom. Although I heard George say that I should get on, because of my strategies. He looked at me, and gave me a thumbs up. I mouthed the words thank you to him, and he smiled. I heard a few people agree with him. At last, they came around, after about a minute.

"It was hard to decide who would get the spot, but we picked," Oliver started. "Ally Conners for her skill and Firebolt!" Everyone surrounded her and lifted her onto their arms. I couldn't believe it! They picked Ally over me! George came over to comfort me, but I pushed him away and started stomping over to the castle.

"Sasha?" I heard Ally say. I didn't care if she saw me. I just wanted to get away from there, from her. I bolted when I got closer to the entrance. I ignored all the people staring me, and ran into a bathroom.