Chapter Sixteen: Fury

I stood to Jack's left, his hand clasped in mine. My other hand rested on my sword hilt. 

"You excited?" I asked. "We're finally taking him down."

"Beckett?" His gaze didn't leave the foggy horizon. "More triumphant. He deserves any pain we deliver."

I agreed silently, sparing a glance to the crew. My crew, and Jack's. I felt a strange sense of pride. 

"Is this what it's like to be a captain?" I asked, turning. 

He smirked. "Depends. What part of having a higher rank than me are you referring to?"

I pulled his hat down over his eyes. "Idiot. You know what I mean."

He fixed his tricorn and finally faced me, grinning. "I find being a captain rather enjoyable, love. Though I've never been a Commodore."

I grinned happily. "I think I'll hand the title in, later...I'm happy just being a Lord. King seems a bit much." I frowned. "And I'm a woman. I'd like to be referred to as my actual gender." 

He tutted. "You're crazy, love."

For some odd reason, the insult stung a bit. I suppose it was my lack of trust in him. I wanted to be able to count on him, but I couldn't. Not at the moment, anyhow.

"Jack Sparrow is saying that to me?" 

"Captain Jack Sparrow." He corrected, his smile mischievous.

"Oh, whatever..." Our kiss was passionate but brief. We were interrupted by Marty, his voice carrying. It amused me how his small body could be so loud. 

"The enemy's here! Let's take her!" He called, pumping his fist. Cheers broke out; I merely smiled. 

We watched the Endeavor emerge from the fog, her colors hanging limp. The wind was weak and the air was heavy; a chill hung over the waves. I had changed out of the Chinese garb and back into my old clothes, and the moisture in the air seemed to stick to the fabric.

Only the Endeavor was visible. I rubbed the corner of my sash between my fingers, an uneasy feeling in my stomach.

The roistering and yelling abruptly stopped as what appeared to be one hundred ships appeared behind the Endeavor, silhouetted by the fog.

I refrained from letting my jaw drop. "We're screwed." I whispered.

"Abandon ship! Abandon ship!" Cotton's parrot screeched, before doing just that. Real faithful, that bird.

We became even more screwed as both crews turned their eyes on Jack, glaring heavily. I smiled at them, hoping that it got the message through: Do not attack him, or you shall be dead before you can count to five.

Jack smiled weakly. "Parlay?"

***

It was an odd picture. We were in the middle of the 1800s, walking along a sandbar, the smell of salt in out noses and crystalline water on either side. 

And up ahead, I could see William, Beckett, and Davy Jones...who was standing in a bucket. I wondered how awkward that must've been, carrying Davy on land. The thought made the situation slightly more enjoyable, knowing the disadvantages of our enemy. 

"So ye be the cur that led these wolves to our door." Barboussa snarled at Will. I stared at Will, my heart sinking. 

"Don't blame Turner. He was merely the tool of your betrayal. If you wish to see its grand architect, look to your left." Beckett said smugly, smirking.