Sixteen

Velma // 1957

After yesterday's long day of shopping and preparing for the premiere today was just for us. I couldn't lie, I was falling for him but with the way things are today, I wouldn't be surprised if people talked. I want to so badly ask him to be mine but it would look wrong. That's just how I was raised, the man should have the courage to ask the woman to be his, not the other way around. All these thoughts were in my head as he swam around in the pool, while I stayed on my lawn chair sun bathing.

"Why don't you come in? The water is great!" Ashton said coming near to where I was sat

"No thank you, i'm trying to get tanner" I answered fixing my sunglasses, the sound of rock n'roll playing from inside the house. I made myself comfortable in the chair and laid my head back as the song played, a small smile on my lips. Then I felt myself being lifted from my seat.

"Ashton, if you do what I think you're doing you will be in huge trouble" I said hitting his back. 

"Nah, i'm sure i'm fine, now lets get rid of these and get you in the water." He said taking my sunglasses off and throwing them back to the chair, I kept hitting his back and flailing my legs.

"You put me down" I said still hitting his back

"You do realize that your small hands don't hurt right?" He said with a laugh as we walked closer to the water

"No no no!" I screamed but it was too late we were in the water, I swam back up as he looked at me and laughed

"This isn't funny, my hair is ruined!" I cried as he splashed me with water

"It looks fine" He said as he splashed me again, then we started a splash war. I giggled as he followed me around the pool. This was fun but he did still mess up my hair. After a while we got out and dried off.

"So lunch?" I asked him, he nodded and went to the grill. The sun was still out and very bright. It was lovely how the summers would last for a good while after summer ended here. I went back inside and got the hamburg patties out. This was beyond perfect, if felt cute like if we were a married couple.

"It's nice isn't it?" Ashton asked as he got the grill started, I nodded smiling.

"So after the premiere you some other small magazine photo shoots and a commercial and then holidays" Ashton said getting out the burger buns while I chopped the veggies for the burgers.

"Oh boy, I know, so are you going back home for the holidays?" I asked him, he thought about for a second before shaking his head.

"Probably not anytime soon, are you going back to Georgia for the holidays?" He asked me, instantly I shook my head. I knew my family wouldn't be expecting me back home unless it was to apologize and go back to school.

"We can celebrate the holidays together?" He offered

"Absolutely, I would love that. I want to make a gingerbread man, and the house too." I said placing the chopped veggies into small bowls, while he went outside to check on the patties.

"I feel like a married couple, just missing one thing," Ashton said as I put the veggies next to the grill, then he pulled me in and kissed me, "There it is, now it feels like we're a married couple" I giggled but leaned in kiss.

"I'm going to say if you don't, but i'll wait a bit more" I told him going back inside and getting out the lemonade from the refrigerator.

"What exactly do- ohh I know now" He said changing his sentence midway and giving me a wink. I laughed at his goofy ways. We ate lunch, and the burgers were amazing. Then we danced to songs on the radio because the records weren't as fun anymore. Then midway through a slow song he got down on one knee.

"Ashton?" I said with a giggle, as I began blushing.

"Will you, Velma Lancaster, do me the honor of being my girlfriend?" He asked me, my face must've been as red as a tomato but I nodded, he picked me up and spun me around. We kissed and then sat and held hands. It was amazing.

"Finally, i'm yours" I said kissing his hand.