Chapter 2: The Game

Oh my god Karkat you idiot he thought to himself. He ran faster sprinting down the corridor. He earned a few yelps and growls in annoyance from other students as he rudely bumped into them. Karkat couldn't careless about them. Hopefully Terezi hadn't heard his voice shake or anything. A slight blush graced his cheeks. They burned as he grew more embarrassed. No he thought. I am not going to get embarrassed over this tiny little thing. 

Marching into the canteen he quickly swiped an apple, biscuit and a piece of pie onto his tray. He couldn't see Gamzee so that was a bad thing. Gamzee was a friend to him. Although their relationship was questionable. Most of the time the clown would freak out and Karkat was the only one brave enough to calm him. Using the mighty power of shush paps. 

He noticed John and Jade sitting in the corner. Thankfully Dave wasn't there. He and Dave didn't quite get along. Everything was a competition in their eyes. From who could run the fastest to who could fit as many marshmallows into their mouths. They were both equally good in different things. Like how Dave had the advantage when it came to music or physical challenges. Should I sit with them he thought while weighting the pros and cons.

"Hey Karkat over here!" Waved John. 

Too late. "What do you want?!" He asked while sitting down opposite John. Jade who was next to him moved away slightly. She didn't want to lose her hearing if Karkat yelled again.

"Well we thought you could help us out. You know that game Sburb?"

"Of course I do you pile of horse manure"

John rolled his eyes at Karkat's grumpy demeanour. "We could use your help. Rose as the Seer in our party has seen some stuff"

"Oh well no duh!"

Again John ignored his crabbiness. "Rose thinks we need another person. Frankly from what she's described I agree so-"

"Will you join our party?!" Interrupted Jade excited. 

"Why on earth would I do that?" Karkat screeched.

John scratched his neck awkwardly laughing. "Well we need someone of your abilities heh heh"

"Oh now I see! When you need something from me then you talk to me" exclaimed Karkat.

Jade gasped. "No it's nothing like that. We just thought you might want to join us and help"

Karkat glanced at both of them sceptically. He was the Knight of Blood in the Sburb game. It didn't have too many abilities like the other classes and aspects but a skill he had mastered was extremely useful. A skill that relied heavily on the presence of NPC Warriors/Mages. He thought it over. Making sure to take extra time watching John and Jade's hopeful faces. His decision was made.

"Sup Tez" said I families voice besides her.

"Hm?" She turned towards the sounds. "Hey cool kid" Terezi said as she closed the locker door. She leaned against the metal locker. "What can I do for you?" She fluttered her eyes a bit. Terezi couldn't lie to herself. Dave was pretty cool and had been a crush of hers for ages. Way cooler than her older sister. 

"Nothing much" He copied Terezi's motion of leaning on the locker. "So Vriska stole your cane?"

"As a matter of fact yes. Yes she did. Why?"

"I have it right here" he winked at her. Even though she couldn't see she could tell from the tone of his voice that he was suggesting something. He gently nudged the dragon headed cane into her empty hand. Her hand grasped the head.

"Thanks Dave." She gratefully said. 

I wonder how he got it she thought. Vriska being Vriska was a hard bargainer. It was practically impossible for you to get her to do anything nice unless she gained from it too. It was so annoying to her sometimes. This was one of the reasons she left Vriska's party during a dungeon raid. Though that wasn't the only problem she had with Vriska. 

"So Tez you know about Sburb?" Dave asked adjusting his shades. Dave Strider usually walked around school with his massive sunglasses. The teachers by now had given up trying to confiscate them. Somehow he would always get them back or just have an extra pair in his bag. He was in his usual attire of a white t shirt with a disk in the middle and red sleeves and collar.

"Of course Dave. I go on it most of the time" Terezi quickly replied as she snapped out of her daydream.

"How about you, me and the rest of my team go defeat the next level of the dungeon tonight? Rose thought we could use some extra firepower. She foresaw some crazy stuff. Something to do with extra bosses."

"I dunno Dave. I'm a Seer of Mind. I don't think I can do much"

"Pfffft! You do like mad physical damage. It'll be fun Tez" He said. "Come on Tez I know you want to"

"OK for you Dave" she sighed. 

Without realising somehow Dave was a lot closer to her now. He was only slightly taller than her so he wasn't some massive giant compared to her. They were quite close. From anyone else's point of view it might have looked like they were dating or really really 'close' friends. She could almost smell the sweet candy red. Then he pulled away leaving the tiniest smell of candy red in the air. Terezi wanted more. Red was her favourite colour. It was like the feeling of thirst but only allowed a tiny sip of water. She refrained herself from getting closer. I hope he didn't notice she thought.

"Cool see you tonight at 6pm in LOWAS" he saluted at her before walking away. She waved meekly in his general direction.

Terezi sighed. Perhaps Dave will ask her next time she thought to herself. Nah that's not going to happen. Once again she quickly opened her locker and shoved the spare cane inside. Her nose picked up a lemony scent. Tilting her head upwards she smelt the vague silhouette of a familiar scalemate. 

"Lemonsnout" she loathingly said. "Fancy seeing you here. Tell me what do you think you're doing hiding in my locker." She pretended that he had shrugged his shoulders. "Don't get too smug. I'm onto you" she whispered you him threateningly.