Chapter Forty- Red Head Not Grey Head

I pace the waiting room as I wait for any news on the baby.  My mother was rolled into the room not too long ago, screaming and gripping my father's hand with so much strength that I saw him grimace.  I love babies but this experience really made me think over the idea of getting a baby when I get older. 

The ride to the hospital was a scary one.  Sandra and I were in the back of the car with my mother while Leo was in the front with my father.  I didn't like the fact that Leo is riding with us but I needed to focus on my mother.  Sandra constantly told her to breathe.  I wish she told me to that too because I had to remind myself to breathe as my mother screamed out in pain occasionally.  I dabbed my mother's forehead with my father's handkerchief that he always takes around with him and pushed her damp hair out of her face with shaky hands.  By the time we got to the hospital I was pretty shaken up. 

Now,  Sandra, Leo and I are in the waiting room.

"Angel, dear,  sit and relax it's going to be fine", Sandra smiles weakly.  I know the death of her husband is taking a toll on her by the dark circles under her eyes and her melancholy state.  Guilt blossoms in my stomach once again.  I sit down beside her while Leo sits on the other side of her.

I want to go and see Brianna since she is getting treated in this same hospital but I don't want to leave incase the doctor comes out soon. My leg bops up and down as I wait in the tense, yet anxious atmosphere. I hear footsteps come towards us and I look towards where they are coming from.  A red-head with waist long hair in a ponytail, emerald eyes and similar attire to my mother comes in to view.  She is probably the partner my mother was talking about.  I get up to greet her.

"Hi, are you my mother's partner?", I ask, when I stand in front of her.

"Yes, I'm Ms. AppleBee", she smiles.

"Well, I'm-",  I smile back and start to introduce myself when what she said settles in, "Ms.AppleBee?  The Ms.AppleBee?"

"Yes but my actually name is Candice", Candice laughs at my surprised expression.

"But how?  I mean you don't have grey hair..."

"Disguise"

"Wow..you guys are too good at disguise for my little heart", I pat my chest as Candice laughs at me again," So why did you need to disguise?"

"Basically to gather information from your school and to make sure nothing happens to you without interfering.  Like when Brianna bullied you,  I let you build trust in me so I can be your refuge especially since you didn't want to tell your mother",  she explains.

"Oh", I nod, letting the new information settle in,"So there will be no more Ms. AppleBee and brownies?"

"No more Ms.AppleBee but definitely more brownies", she smiles as I return it.  No one can make better brownies than her.

"How is Brianna?", I hold my breath.

"She'll live"

I let out a relieved breath just as the doctor comes out the room with a broad smile.

"The baby can be visited now", he says before walking away.  I quickly rush in the room and see my mother holding a fragile being in her arms while my father smiles brightly at them.  While waiting I called Devan so he should be here any minute. 

Speak of the devil.  Devan rushes in right after me and smiles just as brightly as my father.

"Is it a boy?", Devan asks.