Twenty-Two

"What happened? Where'd he go?"

Phil had ignored all the questions he got until he was sitting on Dan's couch, knees up to his chest and his arms wrapped around himself.

"He just... he ran away," Phil said. "He doesn't want our help. Let's just give him space."

"What else happened?" Dan asked, clearing seeing Phil was leaving something out.

"Well he punched me but it's no big deal, he's upset and I get it." Phil shrugged.

Dan frowned slightly. "Are you okay?"

Phil nodded and Dan moved closer to him, placing a hand on his knee.

"I love you, you know that right?" Dan mumbled.

"Yes and I love you too," Phil said with a small smile, looking up to see Dan's brown eyes.

Dan smiled, his dimples visible and Phil reached for his hand to hold.

Holding hands was such a simple action that made you feel so safe and all Phil wanted at the moment was to feel safe.

"I'm so grateful you're in my life. You have made me so much happier." Dan whispered lovingly and Phil felt tears come up.

"You've also made me happier-" Phil had started to say but suddenly, chatter was heard and Dan jumped slightly.

"Fuck."

"Daniel?" A female voice called.

"Phil, go into the kitchen and stay there," Dan said as quietly as he could.

Phil was confused as to why he had to but got up and did as told, not being able to see who it was that was at the door.

"Hey guys." Dan said.

"'Hey guys'?" Another male voice questioned and Phil could heard Dan sigh.

"Hello mum and dad."

"How was therapy?" The female's voice then asked and the sound of objects being dropped were heard.

"Boring."

"Have you done your homework?"

"Yes."

"Good."

Phil felt awkward, standing beside a fridge whilst listening to Dan have a conversation with his parents but he had nothing else to do but attempt to stay as quiet as possible.

As if the world knew he was trying to be quiet, his phone went off and his loud ringtone was being played.

He stumbled to get it out of his pocket and turn it off but it was too late.

"What's that?" The male voice said loudly.

"It's my phone, sorry, I'll be right back, stay here!" Dan chirped and ran into the kitchen to find Phil struggling.

"I'm sorry-" Phil stammered and Dan shook his head.

"It's fine, sh," he whispered then turned and ran back out.

"Sorry about that." Dan apologized. "Also, could we talk for a moment?"

"Make it quick, we've got to leave soon."