Chapter 20: Seemed to Sink

Hayden's POV

"Courage?" I said to him as I stared at his clenched fist and green face. He looked sick.

Courage looked at me, and then at the others in the room. He closed his eyes for a minute and then opened them. He had anger and shock swimming around his chocolate eyes as he opened his mouth to begin to speak. "The guy who has taken the kid, Lesley... he needs to be taken down. He's done this to others, maybe not for the same reasons, but we need to get the kid back." Courage was standing still, face set and eyes hard. I've known him for years and his eyes were filled with a guilt that I did not know the origin of.

"I agree with the big man over there, we need to go get Lyd back so you and her can finally get married and give me little baby Laydens." Carson cooed to me as he tried to stroke my hair. I grabbed his hand and threw him into the floor and he screamed in surprise. Serves you right, idiot.

"First, what the actual fuck is a Layden?" I asked with my face scrunched up and my nose wrinkled.

"Oh my god, you're so outdated, boo. Layden is you and Lydia's ship name." When he saw my still clueless face, he continued. "It's Hayden and Lydia mushed together. God, you're hopeless."

"Okay, Carson. No one cares about your 'shipping.' We need to find my daughter, and quick because if anything happens to her, you'll hate your father for not wearing a condom." Oscar said, while looking at me pointedly. Duly noted.

"Second, so we have any possible idea where she is? I've never heard of this Lesley man and my dad's journal never had any semblance of his name hidden in the pages." I said and watched around for reactions. I wasn't expecting Oscar to reply, but since he taught Lydia how to hold her own, I was counting on him knowing how to protect hisself.

"I know where she is." Courage spoke quietly. My eyes widened. He was a beast of a man, and I had never heard him speak quietly to someone except for Lydia. But he said he knew where my baby was. She just said yes to being my girlfriend, and she's been gone for days now.

We all looked to Courage, obviously wanting him to continue. He was wringing his hands together and I stated to get impatient. "Speak. Now." I attempted to growl. What came out of my mouth was more like a wheeze because I really need some water right about now. I hope they're feeding he, I hope I get there and see the same Lyd I think I fell in love with...

"She's at a large house in the middle of Canton Woods. The man who took her, Lesley, wants you, Hayden. He was never in your father's journal because your father didn't want you to have any way to find out what happened to you. Unfortunately, Lesley has connections that not even you could fathom and he could make himself disappear within the hour." Courage spoke to all of us in the room.

My eyebrows were up and my mouth was open wide. "How do you know this? My father would have told me! And you've known this and just decided to tell me? She's been gone for days, Courage, days!"

"No, no, no." Courage looked over to Lydia's father and waved his hands to emphasize his no. He closed his eyes as if he were in pain to say what he was about to say. "Lesley is my adoptive father. But he was a terrible one. I was the youngest in a house of about six kids. We were forced to clean his house, cook for him and do anything else he wanted us to do while he would be a lazy ass and beat us if we so much as spoke of him in a bad way. I hate the damn bastard."

"We'll talk about this later. I'm calling the crew." I said.

"And I'm coming, too!" Carson and Oscar said at the same time.
     _ _ _
Lydia's POV

"I've gotten pretty bored of just beating you up all day. Obviously, if he hasn't come for you by now, after..." He trailed off to look at his watch. Yes, because the watch is going to give you a number of days. "about 2 days, then he really doesn't care about you. If you will not get him here, then I really see no reason for you to live anymore. Frankly, you're just a waste of space to me."

He grinned a crooked grin and slowly, as if to taunt me, reached into his back pocket. My eyes stayed glued to the gun and I saw my reflection. A reflection of a girl who had wild, brown hair, with boring brown eyes. My father, I'm going to miss my father. And Courage. And Carson. And I'm going to miss Hayden, my boyfriend.

I looked into his eyes, the eyes of a man who was going to watch me take my last breath. They held no remorse, no sympathy, only a sick pleasure from being about to kill me. He had the same eyes as Stephen. Since I was taken here, I had gotten used to the almost constant flow of flashbacks and shivering movements when I would wake and feel the ache of any hits or bruises Stephen had given me even if they weren't really on my body. But he didn't kill me. This man was about to.

I never wanted to die like this, I never imagined I would die like this. I imagined being in a car crash, living till sixty and suddenly not waking up one day, but not dying at the hands of a man who wanted to use and manipulate the man I loved. I didn't get out of my ordeal with Stephen alive just to die at the hands of another man like him; a bully. But as I thought about getting away from Stephen and my dad, Carson, Courage and... and Hayden, I kept staring at the gun. I hated guns. They were the cause of such pain and death, but right now I wish I could jump out of this binding chair, rip the gun our of his hands and blow his head off. Just wishful thinking, as I still stared at the gun in front my sweaty, pale face. Right now, the black hole in front of me was paralyzing my view of the gun because he was the one holding it. And the man behind the gun... the man behind the gun is the one who's afraid to stand in front of it.

As the gun was pointed at my head, and his finger lifted to take the safety off and on, and off and on again, my breath started to stutter. I zeroed in on the gun, not taking my eyes off of the weapon that was going to take my life soon, not taking my eyes off of the black hole that was going to swallow me whole. I started to struggle and twist, but the bonds around my wrists and ankles were so tight that my wrists and ankles had soon turned blue. I had not been removed from this chair from the entire time I had been here. Two days, I had been here. Two days, and no sign of my dad, or Courage or Hayden. By this point, Carson with a baseball bat would even be a welcomed sight.

I didn't break free. I didn't suddenly get a powerful surge of will to live even if I was thinking of the ones I cared about. I just stared at the gun, with all these emotions running around my head and heart. They were twisting my mind in every which way, and I had no idea how to turn it off. I guess this gun was going to do that.

The man pushed his finger away from the safety after repeatedly clicking it, and his pointer finger gently laid on the trigger. He started to apply pressure, and I squeezed my eyes shut. I didn't want to hear it, or see it go off. I didn't want to die. Tears came to my eyes. I didn't want to die.

"Oh, that was amazing. I'll have to do this another time." The man said. His voice was light with amusement and pleasure rang through the gravelly sounding voice.

I glanced up at him tearfully and my face screwed up. This man was sick. I hadn't been given food for hours now, my throat was like sand and I could barely feel my hands or feet now. I closed my eyes and rested my head against my shoulder as I heard his footsteps. When he was about to disappear fully into the dark, I lifted my head and said, "I hope you experienc everything you have put me through and ten times worse. It I'm going to die here, then so will you." My words came out whispered and hoarse, but my sudden confidence deflated when he just laughed and turned away from me.

"Sweetheart, you have twenty hours left. If he doesn't come in that time, you can believe that you'll be dead much sooner than the third click of the safety lock." He chuckled menacingly, and walked into the blackness of the other side of the room. He seemed to sink into it, maybe it was because he was the man it was made of.

I finally updated after, like, months? I went through a slump and I don't understand why teachers insist on giving overlapping projects. Urgh. So, yeah vote and comment, tell me what you liked. Sorry for the wait, peace babes.