New kid - ONESHOT

(A/N- This is a modern story and both of them are Juniors, so they would both be 17, just to make that clear)

I could say that I was surprised when a man, tall and broad and face hidden by a red, thick beard walked in. His eyes were down cast for a moment, only lifting to meet my glance before turning away, looking towards the young woman in the chair. I noticed, as I turned my head, there was another person standing behind him; it was another woman and she was short with glasses, a head of white hair that was tied into two long braids.

I knew this woman; her name was Gothi and she was the guidance counselor. Gothi did not talk, even still, that woman was good at what she did and the kids always left her room smiling.

It took me a second before I realized what was going on. With a soft look in his eyes, he began to speak slowly, his voice thick and deep with an accent. "Good morning" he started "I have documents for my son regarding his medical records"

The woman in front of him, the school nurse, smiled and took the documents from the mans' enormous hands. "Oh yes, Hiccup was his name?" the nurse wondered, getting a soft nod from the man. "Is there anything else, that didn't make it onto the papers, that I need to know?" the nurse asked, looking over Hiccups' medical records, and judging by the look of them, these must have been recently made from a quick doctors visit not too long ago.

Strangely, I hoped it was only a yearly checkup, and not anything dangerous. I hadn't the faintest idea why. "No" was all the man said, and yet, as he said it, I could tell that there was something he wasn't going to say. The nurse noticed this too, however, she didn't force it out of him and only smiled.

"When will Hiccup be coming to school?" the nurse asked, putting the records in a folder. "Tomorrow" the man replied.

Tomorrow; for some reason, I had the urge to find this 'Hiccup' and befriend him. I knew too well how it feels to be new to a school. I didn't want him to feel alone.

~*~

The next day was cold and the wind was strong and bitter. I had shivered under my blue coat, yet, putting on a smile anyway. As I was walking through the wind, my hair flying into my eyes, I noticed a head of auburn hair I did not recognize. My eyes widened and I approached the new face; I noticed how red his tanned skin was and how low his forest green eyes where. He didn't look happy.

"Hey there" I said softly, shocking him enough to raise his glance up from his feet. He locked eyes with me and showed off a small, crooked smile. I smiled back. "Hello" was all he said.

"New to this school?" I wondered, already knowing the answer. I could see a faint resemblance in his face to the man from yesterday; maybe it was his eyes, or his round nose, or the freckles that seemed to travel lower than just his face. I had the urge to count them; all of them.

"Yes" he nodded, his eyes leaving mine. I looked forward and noticed how he stood there, shaking, in front of the glass door to the school. His reflection on the glass was foggy due to the frost, however, I could see how he shivered and shook due to the cold and anticipation of being new to a strange place.

I smiled softly.

"C'mon" I opened the door for the both of us, looking back at him. "I will be by your side, don't worry." He smiled happily at me, walking into the warm air of the school. "I'm Jackson Frost, by the way" I told him as I let the door slam shut due to the wind.

"Hiccup Haddock" he turned with his hand out. I took his hand and shook it formally, not feeling the actual warmth of his hand; his fingers were like ice. He took his hand back and hid it in his pocket, keeping it warm. "Well, Hiccup, it's nice to meet you"