The unexpected - ONESHOT

(Mind any spelling errors or things that seem off and if some words don't make sense. I will be honest that I didn't want to go through all this and edit it right away. Besides, I think errors show that I'm actually human or something. Anyway, I hope you like this)

The loud bustle in the restaurant was blurred out as Hiccup Haddock was in a deep conversation with the Astrid Hofferson, a girl with strength and beauty. Astrid was a close friend since childhood and taking the girl out for a romantic day in the town, and ending it off with a charming lunch, was almost like a dream to Hiccup.

Her blue eyes watched Hiccup as he talked, moving his hands around as he did. On his mind was how earlier that day he made a fool of himself, and now, he was trying to explain why he had fallen over his own feet -or foot in his situation- and all that he could use as an excuse was that he was distracted.

"Oh?" Astrid spoke teasingly, a smirk playing on her glossy red lips, "What distracted you?"

Hiccup's face went red, burning with a blush that crept up from his neck. "O-Oh nothing in particular..." he replied as he raised a hand to the back of his neck. He leaned back a little in his chair as the blonde giggled at his red face. "Okay." she nodded, letting it go, for now.

Hiccup opened his mouth to say something, but was kindly interrupted by a well composed voice. "Hello, my name is Jackson and I will be your waiter today. Shall we start off with your drinks?"

At that voice Hiccup looked up almost immediately, locking eyes with bright blue orbs. "Jack?" he uttered, surprised to see his face here. Jack looked casually into forest green eyes and smiled, hiding his slight shock.

"Hey Hic, how have you been?" he wondered, letting his notepad, that was held up near his chest, rest in his elbow. "I've been well" Hiccup told him, smiling happily.

Before Hiccup could ask the same to Jack, quite curious on how his old friend from high school has been, Astrid cut in. She too was curious, but for different reasons. "You know each other?" she asked and Hiccup turned to her, his smile growing small.

"Yeah, we were best friends in high school"

"Were?" Jack teased, acting offended, "how dare you Haddock"

Hiccup turned back to Jack, chuckling at his sly comment. "My apologizes Overland, you are still the greatest of friends to me." Jack smiled warmly but rolled his eyes nonetheless. "Anyways, I would love to catch up but you have a lunch date to get back to" he said "so let's start with your drinks"

Once they ordered their drinks Jack bowed playfully to his old friend, but before he departed he winked slyly at him. Hiccup chuckled and turned back to Astrid, almost taken back by how she held his gaze with a slight disapproving glare.

"Is...Is something wrong?" he asked, shrinking back in his seat at her cold blue eyes. "Wasn't Jack like your boyfriend during senior year?" she wondered. Hiccup choked on the air he just breathed, completely bewildered by her accusation.

"H-He was only a close friend" Hiccup told her once he was breathing normally again. Astrid nodded slowly and placed her chin in her palm, the coldness in her eyes not completely melted away.

Jack eventually came back with their drinks, giving Hiccup a sweet smile as he asked if they were ready to order. The, almost, couple nodded and ordered.

As Jack went to leave he noticed something on the floor and picked it up. Being the sly one he was he held the paper, that he deliberately dropped earlier, and gave it to Hiccup. "Looks like something fell out of your pocket"

Hiccup blinked back his confusion and took the paper, studying it. On the white slip was a phone number and beneath it, written in delicate cursive, were the words 'call me'. Hiccup instantly recognized it as Jack's handwriting and he knew exactly what the brunette was doing.