Dave ==> Chapter 7

Ever since your double date to the museum with Karkat, something's been eating at you. The two of you are currently sitting at a table in a cafe right by your apartment. It's the first time all week that you are both off and you've been dying to see each other again, but as previously mentioned, your mind is troubled. At first, you were able to make small talk, leaving her to fill in most of the conversation, but now you know it's about time you finally ask the question that's been on your mind. "So, Karkat... We've been hanging out for the past two weeks or so and... I guess I'm just kind of curious what we are?" You question after a few long minutes of silent pep talking.
Karkat stops mid-bite and glances up at you. "What do you mean....?"
You shrug a little, looking out the window to avoid eye contact, "I mean we've been going out a lot and I feel like we're kinda crossing the border between friends and dating, don't you...?" You see her flush scarlet and quickly add, "I mean, if you don't want to be I'm totally fine with that its just... I'm kinda getting mixed signals..."
She awkwardly clears her throat, grabbing her trash and standing, "Why don't you come over later and we can talk about it then. Six maybe?"
Your heart sinks to your stomach. She's going to try and butter you up to let you down easy. You know she is. Following her lead, you stand and nod a little, "Yeah, that's fine. I'll uh... I'll see you later then." Karkat nods and throws away her trash without another word. 'You've royally fucked up, Strider,' you think to yourself as you do the walk of shame all the way home.

~

You arrive at Karkat's apartment at 5:40, pacing the hall. You'd contemplated bringing her roses or something, but you realized you'd look like a tool if she really had you come to turn you down. You nervously take a few deep breaths. Everything would be fine. She wouldn't turn you down like that.
You stop in your tracks. Oh god. What if she's getting back together with her fiancé? You lean against the wall and squeeze your eyes shut, trying to swallow the nauseating feeling in your gut. She wouldn't get back together with that dick... Would she?
You quickly shake your head to clear the thoughts and look down at your watch.
5:52.
You groan to yourself, pressing your forehead to the wall. If you don't go in there now, you'll live a life full of regret. Taking in one last deep breath, you walk up to her door and knock. You were not prepared for what you saw when that door opened.
There stands your princess in short, black and white striped shorts. She has on a long sleeved black shirt that hangs down off her shoulders more than it should. Her hair is tied back in a ponytail with a scrunchie so you have a perfect view of those big, beautiful eyes you adore so much. As usual, she's a vision of beauty, and she's invited you over to break your heart.
She smiles a little and steps aside to let you in. You nod your thanks and step in, taking off your shoes and coat before plopping yourself down on the couch as you usually do. Karkat keeps in tow, sitting at your side. "Hey. Sorry I left so suddenly earlier... Do you need anything? Something to drink or-"
"Answers." You respond, cutting her off. "I'd just like to get that out of the way first."
She nods and looks down at her hands, "Listen, I'm not really sure how to go about this, so please bare with me..."
"You're not interested, are you?"
Her head snaps up, her eyes immediately meeting yours. "I... Pardon...?"
"You're not into me, right? Maybe your ex stepped back into the picture or maybe you just want to be friends... Either way is okay by me it's just..." You trail off and shake your head.
Karkat frowns and takes off your shades, your cover now completely blown, "No... Please, tell me..." She pleads.
You sigh and run a hand through your hair, "I really like you, okay? And I really don't like your ex. You've straightened me out and changed me from a bachelor to a commitment sorta guy. I don't know... I wanted this to be really romantic but if you were planning on telling me it's never gonna happen then I guess it doesn't matter... No matter what happens, I still want to be friends. You're a lovely little lady and so whatever it is that you decide you want I'll accept, okay?"
She bites her lip to hide the smile making its way onto her face, "Dave, you're such an idiot sometimes. I'm not going back to my ex. I just... I didn't want to tell you how I felt in some shitty coffee shop."
You break into a huge grin, a wave of relief washing over you, "Hey, that place is not shitty."
She giggles and shoves you playfully, "Oh, shut up... But... To answer your question... Yes. I am interested." She replies in a quiet voice, her eyes darting between your own eyes and lips.
"Hey, um... Karkat?" You finally manage after letting everything sink in.
"Yes?" She says, tilting her head as she gazes up at you. Her lips look more appealing than before.
"Would it... Would it be okay if I kissed you? I mean... If we're officially dating now, that is..." You stutter out, no doubt with a heavy blush coloring your cheeks.
Karkat smiles and slips her hand into yours. "I thought you would never ask." She sits on her knees and caresses your cheek, guiding your lips to her own.
The kiss was everything you imagined and more. Okay, maybe you're getting a bit caught up in the moment, but the point is that it was gentle and loving and sweet, just like your princess. Her lips are much softer than they look, but she knows how to use them just as well, if not better, than you first thought. It lasts only a moment, but it feels like eternity.
Once she finally pulls away, Karkat smiles shyly up at you and asks, "Wanna crack open a bottle of wine and stay a while?"
You return her smile and gently lean forward to kiss her again, "Yeah, I think I'll be staying a long while."