Chapter 5

Starship Britain

I was floating in space, with the Doctor holding on to my ankle from the open door of the TARDIS.

My name is Alex Pond. When I was seven, I had an imaginary friend. Last night was the night before my wedding

"Come on, Pond," said the Doctor as he pulled me back in.

And my imaginary friend came back.

"Now do you believe me?" He asked smugly and I smirk.

"Okay, your box is a spaceship. It's really, really a spaceship. We are in space! What are we breathing?" Asked Amy excitedly.

"I've extended the air shell. We're fine," the Doctor said before we passed over some ship thing.

"Now that's interesting. Twenty ninth century. Solar flares roast the earth, and the entire human race packs its bags and moves out till the weather improves. Whole nations," he says before running back to the console and the doors close.

"Doctor?" I hear Amy ask.

"Migrating to the stars," he continued oblivious to Amy not being in the TARDIS.

"Doctor," I said and he continued.

"Isn't that amazing?" He asked and I sighed.

"Doctor!" Amy and I yelled. He looked over and I pointed at the doors. Then he realized he has shut Amy outside.

"Well, come on. I've found us a spaceship. This is the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland. All of it, bolted together and floating in the sky. Starship UK. It's Britain, but metal. That's not just a ship, that's an idea. That's a whole country, living and laughing and shopping. Searching the stars for a new home," says the Doctor once he pulls Amy back inside.

"Can we go out and see?" Asks Amy.

"Course we can. But first, there's a thing," he says and I roll my eyes.

"A thing? Really?" I ask sarcastically.

"An important thing. In fact, Thing One. We are observers only. That's the one rule I've always stuck to in all my travels. I never get involved in the affairs of other peoples or planets, Ooo, that's interesting," he says looking at a girl crying.

"So we're like a wildlife documentary, yeah? Because if they see a wounded little cub or something, they can't just save it, they've got to keep filming and let it die. It's got to be hard. I don't think I could do that. Don't you find that hard, being all, like, detached and cold?" Asks Amy but when we look, he isn't there. I  see the Doctor on the scanner, speaking to the weeping girl.

"Doctor?" I ask and he gestures for us to join him.

[London Market]

"Welcome to London Market. You are being monitored," said an intercom.

"I'm in the future. Like hundreds of years in the future. I've been dead for centuries," I say gawking at the sight before me.

"Oh, lovely. You're a cheery one. Never mind dead, look at this place. Isn't it wrong?" He asked searching around.

"What's wrong?" Asked Amy. I nodded in agreement. This place was crazy awesome....what was wrong with it?

"Come on, use your eyes. Notice everything. What's wrong with this picture?" Says The Doctor and I look around.

"Is it the bicycles? Bit unusual on a spaceship, bicycles?" I ask and he chuckles.

"Says the girl in the nightie," he chuckles and I gasp looking down.