Chapter 5- Meet Ray

Before Surgery

“The surgery is going to go great.” I said to Mir after her doctor told her that they were preparing it. “You don’t know that. What if something happens to the baby?” She said. She’s been shut down since I told her about Mini. She wouldn’t let her mom come in and see her. I wasn’t going to let her anyways. “We’re going to pray for you.” Arielle said. “Thanks Rel.” Mir said. “Are we ready?” The doctor asked coming in the room and I looked at Amir. “Yes.” She said. “Ok.” They had already put her on a gurney. As they pushed her I held her hand a walked along with them. “I’m sorry sir, you cannot come behind the point.” A nurse said. “OK.” I looked down at Mir. “I love you Pooh.” I said and gave her a kiss. “I love you too.” I kissed her on the forehead then stepped back on watched them push her and close the door. “God please take care of my family.” I said and I felt someone put their hand on my back. I turned and saw my sister. She gave me a hug and I hugged her back. “She’s a fighter.” She said. “I know.”

3 Days Later

“You gotta carry me all the way up the stairs.” Mir said. We had just gotten home. Her surgery went great. She just had to keep off her right leg. “You better be lucky.” I said carrying her up the stairs. “Yeah yeah.” She said. “Get down.” I said and threw her on the bed. “Rough much?” She said. “Yup.” I said and she laughed. “I’m going to go get the rest of the stuff.” I said placing her crutches by her.

“Mir where are you?” I asked. I brought the last things in the bedroom but she wasn’t in there. Bathroom, empty. I walked to Mini’s room and opened it and there she was. Leaning against her crib crying. “Baby.” I said walking behind her. “I’m fine.” She said quickly wiping her tears. “Come here.” I said and I grabbed her and sat in the rocking chair, putting her in my lap. “I don’t want you coming in here until we get Aminah back.” I said. “You are not going to tell me what to do.” She said. “It’s what’s best for you and we both know it.” I said and she laid her head in the crook of my neck.

“What are we going to do?” She finally said after about 30 minutes. “I don’t know. I’m going to do everything I can possibly think of. I need you to stay calm and relax.” I said. “What? No? I’m going to do something too.” She said. “The hell you’re not.” I mumbled. “Why not?” She asked. “Umm. Maybe because you’re pregnant and just had surgery on your knee 3 days ago.” I said. “So? She’s my daughter too.” She said. “Yes I know that but I can’t let you put yourself and our baby in trouble.” I said rubbing her stomach. “You don’t even want this baby.” She said and got off of me, grabbing her crutches and crutched away.

“Baby. That’s not true.” I said going into our room. “Yes it is. Do you not remember us having an argument about having kids?” She yelled. “I bet the ONLY reason why you’re so forward now about having this baby is because you’re not sure that will get Minah. Isn’t it?” She yelled sitting on the couch. “No. It’s not.” I said. “Oh. Yeah? So tell me why all of a sudden you want to have a baby?” She asked. “I don’t want more kids Pooh. But since you’re pregnant, we’re going to have this baby. And I will love him or her as much as I love you and Minah.” I said. “What if I don’t believe you?” She asked. I kneed on my knees in front of her. “I hope you do.” I said grabbing her hand and she snatched it back. She so damn sensitive! “I love you.” I said and kissed her on the nose. “The hell you do.” She said and I smiled. “Carry me to the bed.” She said. “Please?” I said. “Ok. Nigga can you please carry me to the bed.” She say. “Nope.” I said and walked away. “Please Pookie?” She begged and I picked her up.

“What I told you about calling me that?” I asked. “You picked me up didn’t you?” She asked and I threw her on the bed and got on top of her. “Move Pookie. Get off of me!” She yelled. “Stop calling me that.” I said. “Nope.” “Alright then fine.” I started unbuttoning her shorts. “Where at you doing?” She asked. “Giving my wife what she wants.” I said. “You know what I want and she’s not here.” She said. “Now can you please get off of me?” She asked. “No. Yes. I understand that our daughter is missing, but baby I need to be in you right now.” I said. “Oh yeah? Why is that?” She asked. “Just forget it.” I said buttoning her shorts then walked downstairs. .