1- Past and Present

A person's present situation eventually becomes the past.

The present matters the most for this brings people to the future. A dreamed future sets the goals for its fulfillment and achievement.

For every girl, a dreamy one, a happily ever after is a must.

Shaira Alonzo often visits the baywalk in this small city of Legazpi. As she wandered, the sultry air mixed with the gracious wind from the sea almost covered her entire face and arms. A few drizzles showered but they were gone, unnoticed, a few minutes later.

She supposed it was unnecessary to take her umbrella out even if they say that drizzles could cause colds. Who cares about her getting colds? None. The ones who cared were long gone.

She sought to capture the magnificent view of the horizon that met the dark and shady mountains against the silhouette of reddish orange sky. Mayon volcano magnificently showed its perfect cone.

"I love you..." her soft voice whispered.

The wind slapped her cheeks as her hair played around her face. The slap of the air had to remind her to stop thinking about nothing.

To wake up from her teenage dream because she wasn't a teenager anymore.

To stop feeling everything for someone who gave her nothing.

The wind moved from east to west as she gazed towards the horizon. The calm and sunset sea soothed her lonely heart .

Hussssh... All she could hear was the wind moving back and forth.

"I love you..." her voice softer than her first utterance that only herself could hear those words.

Silence and then wind... Those two have been there with her for some time now.

She closed her eyes and sighed. The aroma of the ocean breeze calmed her throbbing heart. She was feeling the wind's coldness against her blushing cheeks, hoping that it would bring the message somewhere to somebody very far from a distance. She was wishing that the wind could relay the message to the person who was so dear to her.

She opened her eyes. Sunset was over. It's evening. And dark.

As she turned her back to the ocean to head for home, the lights turned on. The village looked merry again with green, red, yellow, and violet neon lights. Street lights.

Her feelings were the same. No amount of colorful lights could change her mood.

She walked passing by lovers who chose to visit the sea side in the evening. Happiness could be traced through their faces as some entered nearby restaurants.

Zoe's Grill spread the mouth watering smell of their blockbuster barbeque. Karaoke bars started to light up and a few songs played here and there. Manong who sold fresh buko juice still convinced buyers with his witty jokes.

What have I done all my life?, she thought. Never did I experience a great date like what these couples were doing.

Was it because she kept herself reserved all her life? She's not a teenager anymore but she never even had been to a romantic date.

She foresees the idea that she was going to become an old maid.

Nevertheless, Shaira was not too anxious to find the right person at the right time. If there was any.

She saw a flash of an image of herself 10 years ago after coming to the bay walk. She saw her younger image prepared a lesson for the following day.