16- What to Wear

This was not going to be a Cinderella story. There was no Prince Charming in the workplace. And what troubles the girls most is the type of dress to wear.

Mhay could not believe that they would be required to wear casual attires when all she had were pants and blouses. Fit for work in the area. 

Shaira was debating if she would wear the pencil skirt and pair it with flat shoes. She would look totally gruesome. It was not an appointment for an interview. A pair of sneakers or a pair of flat shoes would never do for the party.

As soon as they arrived at the boarding house, Mhay complained about Leonil's untoward attitude while Shaira was quiet, wondering if she should tell Mhay, her big sister about Leonil's strange actions. She decided to stay quiet. Not until Mhay cracked a question,

"As a woman, do you think Leonil is still allowed to go out with this friends and have that so called good time in the city?" Mhay's eyes were rolling even though she looked stiff and though.

The question lingered in Shaira's consciousness and it made her think about Leonil's actions from the start of their meeting, especially when he drew himself nearer to her that other night upon the stairs.

"Shai?" Mhay looked puzzled.

"H-huh?... No-nope! Unless he could stay away from temptation."

"You're right." Realizing that Shaira must have been tired as herself, Mhay did not insist talking.

The moment of silence broke when Shaira remembered the night of truth. The night where the company had to announce those who qualified and those who did not. The night where there would be a party and she had to act like a lady. The last party she attended was the prom. Those were not that exciting. She would rather read a book. 

"So what should we wear tomorrow night?" 

Mhay tapped her forehead and said, "Nah, I have pants in my suitcase. Maybe they will not send us out if I wear slacks, at least."

"You think so? I don't have slacks with me but I have pencil skirt. I don't think its a good idea."

They consumed almost half an hour talking about how they would look the following night until their topic shifted to another, then to the other, until they both fell asleep.

*****

It was not a usual 4:30 am when Shaira was just nodged by Mhay in her bed.

"Hey, Shaira, wake up!" 

Shaira slowly lit her eyes and saw Mhay's face that looked neither pleased nor annoyed.

"What?" Shaira stretched her arms and yawned as she lifted herself to the side of the bed. It was until her mouth has fully blown the air from her lungs that she realized somebody looking at them. Mhay was seated at the corner of Shaira's bed. She used a piece of paper as a fan to ease her bewilderment.

Shaira immediately stuck herself at the wall of her bed as she covered her mouth. Her hair in the morning was like a nest of chicken. She had a hard time recovering them the usual way.

From the door, Greg smiled in front of them. If there were other girls in the room aside from the two, this would cause rumor. He was looking at Shaira with his cute dimples out to portray his look that was like Nigel. 

Of all people, early in the morning, somebody reminded Shaira again of Nigel.

"Good morning pretty ladies." He greeted breezily.

"The morning would be so good if only you did not come." Mhay snapped.

Greg did not pay attention to her. Instead, he was focused on Shaira. It was unbelievable that a girl like her would look exquisite as early as the morning.