9- Unplanned

"Congratulations, you are hired." The manager announced to Shaira. 

"Thank you Sir."

"See you next week."

"Yes, thank you again Sir." They shook hands and Shaira turned excitedly. She would have some good news to her family when she comes home. As she opened the door, the guy who came before her was still outside as if waiting for something. Or someone. 

Shaira still wore her best smile upon seeing him. The guy named Leonil was amazed by her smile. She looked like a pageant queen or a character on TV he could not recall. She must have seen her look like one of the actresses in the soap operas in prime time. 

"So what's the result? You look happy. Let me guess...you qualified. Didn't you?" He inquired. 

He was quick to open up a conversation. There were other applicants beside Leonil. One was a woman who looked like she was on her thirty's, she was also giving Shaira a friendly smile. Other was a tall, thin guy who looked like a fresh graduate with his red checkered polo who was also anticipating for an answer.

"Yes!" Shaira said.

They extended their congratulations to her as she gratefully accepted them all.   

"How about you?" Shaira turned to Leonil.

"Yes, I'm also qualified," he answered coolly.

"When will be the training?," the other woman asked. 

"February. They will just notify us during our first day of service on Monday," the other guy said. 

He looked smart and all knowing, though he still looked very young, Shaira thought. And she managed to skip her thoughts that were coming back to Nigel by remembering the uncomfortable encounter with Leonil earlier.

"Hey, thanks for your help earlier. I think it was lucky for both of us," she grinned shyly towards him.

"No problem.We would both fall if I did not move quick," He breezily answered.

"What's your name?" the woman asked Shaira. It seemed the three already knew each others' names. They sounded like they came from nearby towns because of their accent.

"I'm Shaira." She said, pressing her right hand to her chest. " How about you?"

"I'm Mhay. Married. I have two kids. This other guy here is Mike, he's a fresh graduate and..."

"Leonil," Leonil continued the introduction as he extended his hand for a shake. He could not wait to introduce himself to Shaira as she smiled. The smile really looked familiar. The smile made him wonder like seeing the painting of Mona Lisa. 

"Pleased to meet you."

The wind blew Shaira's hair. She hated it every time her forehead shows. She was wearing a blue green cardigan and decided to put on her brown knitted bonnet. The weather was colder during February and every time she remembered Nigel it felt even colder. 

She was getting ready for home and was checking her phone again.

  Would Nigel remember me at this moment?  If we were still together he would celebrate this event and maybe he would be proud of me...

Her mother texted to ask how the interview went. 

Family is the most loyal people on earth, she thought. She unlocked her phone to tell the good news. She remembered Nigel again. At times like this, she used to celebrate with him through cheerful messages. Sadness was starting to creep again. Good thing she was looking down her phone already. Nobody would be able to read her eyes where tiny droplets of tears were starting to form.

Leonil noticed that Shaira was checking her phone. He was still amazed by this simple lady and he continued to enjoy the sight of her. 

"What's your number, can I have it?" Mhay asked Shaira. 

"It would be nice if we will meet together at the same time during the training," Mhay added.

Leonil smirked. Mhay made it easier for him so that he would not look obvious on his interest for Shaira.

"Sure. That's a good idea. We could share information if ever there will be announcements. Here's my number." Shaira showed the screen of her phone to reveal her number. 

"May I also copy your number?" Leonil asked.

"Of course. You may get it from Mhay." 

*****

Leonil did not text Shaira. He could not be mistaken. He must not do it. 

Marriage was not his thing yet. But having a son of a year old expected him getting married soon to Jane. Would he marry her? 

Jane is beautiful. She is tall, has long hair and had fair skin, too. She had joined several beauty pageants. Her most recent pageant before she got pregnant was Miss Silka Papaya where she got the first runner-up title. Leonil was not in favor of her joining the pageant and because of that, their relationship got colder. 

 As a beauty queen, she was confident that she would be able to get whatever she wanted.She endlessly wooed him and her charms got them back together one splendid night. A night of love and affection where Julian was formed out of the plans. 

As a father at 23, Leonil had to work hard after his family taught him to take responsibility for the sudden twist of fate. Jane's family was also frustrated because of the circumstances and they were expecting a decent wedding for their daughter.

He was getting tire of Jane's nagging when the budget is insufficient for the daily needs of their baby. It was different now. She was not the brilliant Jane she used to know, nor the sweet Jane when they had that passionate night of their lives. Life was getting serious and he doesn't know if he could still take it.

Shaira is a breathe of fresh air. Being three years younger than him and his circle of colleagues, she had a sense of humor in her own way which made Leonil wonder why his heart skipped a beat when she thanked him as it drove him back to the encounter at the staircase. 

Her hair was not as great as with the other girls but her fragrance was something. He wondered where she brought that kind of shampoo or conditioner? He must ask Jane to try another shampoo and conditioner.

He entered the gate of their house, he took his phone out of his bag to check if there were messages. As he scrolled over, he searched the contacts where Shaira's name and phone number was saved. Then he continued to the living room.

"How's the interview?" A familiar voice asked. Jane just came from the kitchen and their baby boy was on her arms. Her hair was disheveled and she looked tired. The little angel was sleeping.

"It was great. I will start on Monday." He smiled and kissed the baby boy on the forehead, then Jane on the cheeks. 

He did not mention about the girl he met at the staircase. Jane would probably start a fight again. It was tiring already.