3- Hide and Seek

It was different now.

The day signaled the end of their "friendship." It was a day when Shaira could hear the birds sing as they danced along the trees; feel the brightness of the sunshine and embrace the blooming flowers.

Children played hide and seek. Their happiness was infectious. Or was she just happy to finally see him and discover the reality behind Nigel's sweet messages.

"I love you." She wanted to see him saying that to her face. She imagined how it would feel like. Will the feeling be more ecstatic than reading the text message? She had to find out. Eyes could tell, if she was good enough to read the doorways to his soul.

Trees gathered around and for some time or another, Shaira thought she could hide behind the big trunks or at least pretend that she was having a rest under the tree if ever he did not show up. She was the first to arrive at the meeting place, anxious about what she was doing for the first time. How could it be that it looked like she was more eager? It was not even a decent place. Kids roamed around and the trees gave her grey shadows below.

She wondered about the tall trees around her. How many conversations could the trees had witnessed over the decades? The thought brought her shivers. They knew more stories of love and hate, of joy and sorrow, of truth and gossip. She simply wanted to hide behind the big trunks or pretend to rest under the shades so that she would not look very obvious just in case her lover did not show up. She looked at her watch. Ten minutes have passed. She was starting to feel anxious if this kid was only playing hide and seek. She was used to waiting for her girl friends but she did not worry about waiting for long. She believed they would come. How about this kid?

"Seriously, Shaira. What are you doing?" she asked herself after sending a text message to Nigel saying that she was there.

It was not even a decent place. Kids roamed around under the grey shades of the trees. She was thinking that her first ever meet up with a guy would be in a romantic place just like how they show it on tv.

"Okay. You are here already. You have to do this. Once and for all, this is the only way to determine if he's telling the truth... Yeah, I have to do this." She thought.

She was nervously looking at the children who ran around when her eyes were blinded by cold hands. Rough, big, cold hands.

She flinched and held the hands that held her eyes. The hands went down her sides together with her hand. As she opened her eyes, Nigel's killer smile revealed all the things she ever wanted to know.

He was still holding her hands until she realized they were actually holding hands. She was thrilled. Yet, she did not want a public display of affection right in front of the children who played there so she let go of his hand.

An awkward silence followed. He could not believe that she was there. And that she let go of his hand.

"Ehem.. Sorry I'm late." Nigel cleared his throat.

The scent of his perfume was captivating as the wind blew towards her blushing face. His look gave her a very uneasy feeling. It was like she was going to melt.

"It's ok," she replied with a sheepish grin.

"Have you waited long?," he asked a little guilty for being late.

"No-no," she said with another sheepish smile. Her heart was beating faster, she did not understand what was that all about.

There was no much topic to be told since both of them seemed to stammer as one tried to start a conversation.

That was the most awkward meet up she ever had. Meeting a guy all by herself was an adventure but she cursed herself for being so awkward around him. Still, Shaira managed to act naturally though she felt like it was all a failure.

"It was not even a date. Don't fall for that guy." Shaira's thoughts were raging.

"Look. He did not even bring you flowers or chocolates. Did not even ask you to eat ice cream or drink coffee or anything. You only talked for about half an hour. That was all. And now you're squirming there like a tadpole." The NO side firmly stated.

"You're a tadpole and that guy was a frog. Feeling like he's Prince Charming without any promise. Ha!"

"But after seeing him, didn't you just feel happy? Look at that smile on your face. Isn't it a good sign?" She looked at the mirror and caught herself smiling. Her YES side was probably right.

"If you're having a boyfriend, all firsts had to be romantic or at least, memorable."

"Wasn't it memorable to finally hold his hand while he revealed his sweetest smile on you?"

Shaira landed on her bed to clear her thoughts with a sigh. She badly wanted to clear her thoughts that night but the image of Nigel's face haunted her like a dream.

Alright, it was an epic fail meet up. Shaira decided to remain undecided until he eventually gives up.

She felt sure that she has actually fallen in love with him when there was a misunderstanding between them.

His text messages became a hobby. A day was incomplete without his text messages in her inbox. Suddenly, she stopped receiving messages. She instructed herself very well not to text him for several days although it gave her a gloomy and lonely feeling as the days passed.

"Everything is over and everything is going back to normal if he won't show anymore," she pacified herself.

"And I would not be taking charge of that kid anymore,"her thought added with a gloat on one side while a sad face on the other side.

But he showed off.

A strange feeling of excitement rushed through her when her phone beeped and it said,

"I miss u."

She knew she must not believe with text messages but she also knew that the person who sent them told real things. He told stories like what he did for the day and how he felt, how he loved his family and cooked meals for his brothers and sisters. The person who sent the message becomes more amazing each day. He was simply irresistible.

The more she tried to hide, the more vulnerable she became as Nigel tried to seek her heart.