Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Elsie’s POV

I honestly couldn’t wrap my head around what had just happened. I know it’s a terrible habit to run away from my…problems, but I didn't know what to do, so I ran.

As I ran I could practically smell Nathan on my trail. I was heading home and I knew how this turned out wouldn’t look too good for the family; I just hoped they were able to catch up so they can just leave. Of all days this happens today. Why couldn’t it have been a normal, friendly meeting?

“Mates instantly know who they’re meant to be with.” Emma. I wish she had kept her lectures to herself!

When I was nearing the house I didn’t even slow my pace down—I could’ve ripped the door off its hinges but I managed to still be gentle when I opened the door. I glanced at everyone before dashing up to my room and locking the door, not that it would help as they could always kick it down effortlessly.

I sat on the floor and put my head in my hands. I just needed a moment of silence to myself, though having sensitive hearing doesn’t help. As I was getting immersed in my own thoughts I hear shuffling out my door. I knew right away who it was.

“El?” Emma called out.

“Please…leave me be…” I said, never lifting my head from my hands.

“Don’t make me take this door down,” she said sternly, but I wasn’t having it.

“Go ahead, you can afford it!” I yelled and I heard her gasp from disbelief. She may be more like my sister, but she still is older. That’s when I heard the doorknob being twisted. Yes, she broke the lock.

When she was successful she looked at the state I was in and her face immediately softened and she took a seat next to me on the floor. She wrapped her strong arms around me and I cried tearlessly. I couldn’t hold it in anymore. Emma cooed and comforted me and it did help, but knowing that Nathan was downstairs bothered me. How was I supposed to face him again?

I heard them talking downstairs and I scoffed internally. It’s not like I can’t hear them. “What happened, mate?” It was Max. I’m sure he was asking Nathan that question.

“I don’t know…she’s fighting it,” Nathan said. He’s damn right I am. I hardly know him! How am I supposed to love him so soon?

“Nathan, you two have already done the most important part of the mating process…you can’t live without her blood and she can’t live without yours.” Siva whispered.

“He’s right, you can’t live without her. Literally.” Tom defended Siva. What did they mean by that though?

“I know! I know what could happen!” Nathan raised his voice and I could just imagine him running his hands though his hair.

“Don’t worry, Nath, Emma and I will talk to her. I don’t understand why she’s doing this—why she has to go against nature….I mean, you just go with it. Some of us knowing what it was like, there doesn’t seem to be a question to this concept. When it happens, it happens. You learn to actually love in the end.” Samuel gave his little speech and I tried my best not to roll my eyes.

“She is quite young. I’m sure she’s just overwhelmed.” Jay interjected. I heard Nathan sigh and hearing him made my chest tighten. It hurts not being with him. Is this normal? I think I see now why Emma and Samuel are never apart for very long, or other mates for that matter.

My emotions must’ve taken over me on another scale because when I looked up Emma was headed out the door. I still listened in on what they were talking about downstairs.

“How is she?” Nathan asked. Did he really care so much about me…already?

“She’s…well, a mess,” Emma paused and sighed, “I think you should talk to her.”

“Are you sure about that?” Samuel asked.

“Yes. I think her and Nathan need to sort things out. She won’t be able to go on very long without him. We know that, and I’m sure Nathan knows the consequences,” Emma said. There was a short silence so I guess Nathan only nodded. Not long after I heard people leaving the house, but I heard another set of footsteps coming towards my room. It was Nathan.

We looked at each other whilst I remained my place on my floor. His face started to change from a blank look to a pleading one. He didn’t need to say anything; I already knew what he wanted to talk about.

“Please?” He said as he came closer to me, and I stood up backing away slightly but he only got closer.

He cupped my cheek and I instantly leaned my face against his hand, with his other hand rested on my hip. I didn’t know what to do with my hands so raised one of them to wrap around the wrist close to my face and the other on his other arm. Again, it felt right being near him.

“Can we talk now?” He asked and I nodded. I let go of him and sank down onto the floor at the foot of my bed. He followed suit.

There was a short silence before he spoke, “I want you,” Nathan looked straight into my eyes and I knew that from his statement he didn’t mean just sex. He continued, “Tell me you don’t feel the same.”

“I-I don’t,” I said, but even I knew I was lying to myself. My head was a complete mess.

Nathan seemed to be examining my face—watching for some reaction. “You’re lying,” and I turned away from him.

“You can’t know that,” I told him and he chuckled with a sarcastic tone.

“Yes, I do. I know you don’t like how this is all instinctive, but either way we can’t live with each other. We literally need each other, Elsie,” I could feel his eyes on me but not once did I look back at him.

I couldn’t hold it in anymore and I started sobbing again. “This is too much!” I whispered as I put my head in my hands again and brought my knees up to my chest.

“Hey, look at me,” Nathan said, and I did look at him. No words were shared and he simply kissed me. It wasn’t like the one we shared back on the cliff; this one felt more passionate and I kissed him back. I knew I needed him the same way he needed me, but I needed time to myself.

I pushed him back and we were both breathing heavily.

I stuttered, “Leave. Now,”

Nathan stood up and sighed. “Okay,” he said and I stood up as well.

Just when he was about to walk out the door he came back in front of me in a flash. “Let me know when you want to see me again.”

With that he left. He was kind enough to give me space and time.

Edited December 29, 2013