For Those Going Through the Motions

I go to church, bible study and even volunteer at the church. So why do I not feel the overwhelming presents of God? I've felt that I have done really well in getting involved with the church but I'm still not feeling fulfilled. What am I doing wrong?

This was me a little over a month ago. I think I, like so many of us Christians, got caught up in going through the motions. I was going to church saying my hellos and taking communion. I discussed the bible with others and was helping to prepare what was needed on Sunday mornings for the church.

But it wasn't enough. I thought getting really involved with the church would bring me closer to God but it didn't. No offense to my church, I LOVE my church. My predicament was self inflicted. I wasn't spending that personal time with God. I would pray here and there but I wouldn't take the time to just sit and talk to God.

My father and sister in law had just finished "Beautiful Outlaw" and encouraged me to read it and it really reminded me of how personal our relationship with Jesus is. It speaks of the personality of Jesus and reminds us that he was human.

He went through all the feelings that we go through. Sadness when his cousin John was killed, betrayl when Judus sold him out, anger at the Pharaases for turning the house of God into a shopping center and even irritation with his disciples when they showed little faith.

We all know of his love and compassion and these are great things and greatly why we love him but failing to acknowledge that he had other feelings, seems to further him from ourselves. We don't think of him as human but All God.

I think when you remember that God made us in his image, you should remember that he felt it all, he went through being tempted and judged. He was a person.

Now that I have remembered this and think of him in more of a personal way, it has drawn me closer to him. Brought a fire in me and I want to know more. This also has showed me what is the most important, which is my relationship with Jesus because he is the one who has saved me.

So don't get yourself stuck in that church chair without growing in your own relationship with God. The sermon might be great but the feeling you'll get when you allow Jesus to be with you always is greater.