Part Thirteen

I wanted to see if I could transform without it being painful, my theory was that if I change as much as I could between being a wolf and being my normal form then gradually I would get used to the sensation and it would numb the pain. This being said, I had locked myself in my newly compelled apartment for the night with no distractions just transforming forms every few minutes. I don't know how many times I'd turned now, and it was getting easier - quicker and less painful - but it still wasn't enough.

During the night I'd also tried roaming around the woods and lurking in the shadows of the town, practising my stealth as a wolf in case it was needed. I quite enjoyed being in my wolf form, it was different, I felt almost free. It was new and exciting, and I liked it.

I decided that when the sun rose I should go out of my hiding because I hadn't had any blood since the sacrifice and I felt drained. I left the shop I was living above and headed out of the town centre, I walked through the streets with my hood up and my head down. I didn't realise how hungry I was, it seemed to hit me at once as I walked down the busy streets. I was famished. My throat burned, my stomach clenched, my brain was like a live wire. I wanted blood. I needed blood.

I couldn't think straight, I could hear the blood pumping through a runners veins on my left and the heart beats of a group high school kids on my right. I could smell the mother and baby in front of me. I wanted all of them. I wanted to devour every last drop of their blood. I couldn't focus on anything except my hunger.

Sweat beaded on the back of my neck and my forehead as I focused all of my energy on getting back to the Boarding House and not feeding on anyone. I knew if I looked up from the pavement that my eyes would be red and the veins beneath them raising from my skin like snakes. My canines forced themselves out of my gums as I heard a young girl crying and her Dad kissing her bleeding knee. I held my breath and pushed myself into a run. I needed to get out of here. Now.

I knew I couldn't make it to the Boarding House before I broke so I went to the closest house I knew which was Jeremy's. I banged on the door, my whole body trembling. "Becs, what's wrong?" Jeremy asked, pulling the door open.

I ignored him and hurried inside. I went straight into his room, pulling off my jacket. What was wrong with me? I heard Jeremy run up the stairs after me, his heart beat was so loud. I could smell him outside the door. "Stay out. Something's wrong. Call Stefan and tell him to get me blood now. Jeremy you need to stay away from me."

I felt a tiny wave of relief as he walked away and I could hear him on his phone. I crouched on the floor, wrapping my arms around my knees and hiding my head in my arms as I tried to steady my breathing and stop shaking. I felt as though I hadn't fed in weeks. Was this normal? I was a hybrid, what the hell was normal nowadays?

I tried to focus on my breathing but all I could hear was Jeremy's heart beat and all I could smell was his blood rushing through his veins. I needed him. I needed to feed. Hunger took over my body and I silently made my way to the bottom of the stairs using my vampire speed. I locked the front door and listened to Jeremy on the phone to Stefan in the kitchen. I used my vampire speed to run behind him, making sure to knock something on my way by, scaring him. He gasped and turned around to where I knocked a glass on the floor.

"Becs?" He called out, slowly bringing the phone down from his ear. I ran behind him again and spun around. "Becs this isn't funny."

I could hear Stefan on the end of the phone calling Jeremy's name. I ran past Jeremy and grabbed his phone before going back upstairs to send Stefan a message. "I'm hungry Stefan. I can't wait anymore," I said and disconnected the phone. I dropped it on Jeremy's bed and went back to my meal.

He had ran to the front door and I smirked as I slowly walked down the stairs. "Oops, looking for this?" I waved the key in my hand.

"Becs..." Jeremy breathed out, his heart beat escalating making me want him more.