Exchange Student

"(Y/n)?" 

"Yes! That's me!"  

Your host family has finally arrived to pick you up from the airport in Ireland, where you'd be staying as an exchange student for six months.  

When you arrived at their home, you unpacked and ate dinner. Afterwards, they took you to meet your neighbors, saying they had kids around your age.  

When your host mother knocks, you're greeted by a boy with blonde hair and blue eyes, and an adorable face.  

"Hi!" He says. "Come on in." 

You smile at each other as you slide by, proceeding to the living room.  

A man a and woman come out, assuming they're the boy's parents, and tell us to take a seat. 

"I'm Maura," the woman says, "and this is my husband, Bobby. And my son, Niall." 

You look over at him and see he's already looking at you. You blush, your lips curving up. 

"Niall, stop looking at her as if she had green skin." 

You look over and an older boy comes hurtling down the stairs.  

"My other son, Greg, everyone," Maura laughs.  

Niall's face is tomato red and is now looking down.  

"This is (y/n), boys," your host mother says.  

You give a little wave and say hello.

***

Within a week, you and Niall are best friends. After about four months, you really like him. You can talk to him about anything, he's caring, and sweet, hilarious, and eats as much as you, even more! 

When the six months are over, it's painful to say goodbye. You feel horrible leaving him, and honestly don't want to leave Ireland.  

But you must go back home, so you promise to write each other, text, call, email, and Skype.

 ***

* 5 years later (20 years old) *

You have decided to visit Ireland again. You just finished your second year of college, and need a break.  

You are in the airport, heading outside to hail a taxi, when a familiar Irish accent stops you. 

"(Y/n), is that you?!" 

You swirl around and come face to face with Niall. The boy you haven't seen or talked to in a few years.  

"Niall?" You say, almost breathless. You can't believe it's him! "What are you doing here?"  

"Picking up my brother. He went to {foreign country} for a few months." 

"Ah." 

"Yeah.. it's been awhile! How have you been?" 

"Good... College life..." 

He laughs. "Gotcha. Where you going to school?" 

"In the states, back home. It's not far from where my parents live." 

"What are you doing back here?"  

"I needed a break... and I loved it here. So I thought I'd visit again." 

Niall suddenly looks really excited.  

"You should stay with me!" 

"With you?" 

"Yeah! I have my own condo-type place a few miles away." 

"I was kinda planning on this hotel.." 

"No! You'll stay with me." 

You laugh. "Okay, okay."

 ***

After the year of a "break," you again don't want to leave.  

Because now Niall is your boyfriend, and an amazing one at that! 

You can't leave him again.  

One afternoon you get back to Niall's and announce your big news. "I'm staying in Ireland!"  

"What?! (Y/n), you can't give up school!" 

"I'm not! There's a college about twenty minutes from here that had similar courses to the ones I was taking, so-" 

"So you're staying with me!" Niall screams happily, giving your lips a sloppy kiss and jumping on top of you, landing the two of you on the couch. 

"Oh my God, I'm so HAPPY!!" 

"I can see that," you giggle.  

He grins. "Lets get married." 

"What?!" You exclaim. 

"Why not? I love you, (y/n), if you don't already know. And I can't imagine spending my life with anybody else." 

"So this is how you're proposing? Laying on top of me?" 

"Yes, I guess so. So.." 

"Of course," you grin, and kiss him, knowing you're the luckiest girl alive.