Chapter XLIII: I Meet Mr. Flame Guy

I woke up on a leather couch inside an old living room.

By my definition, an old living room means: Antiques everywhere, a classy fireplace - the only thing lighting up the room; a bear rug, an old "tick tock-ing" grandfather clock, some more leather couches, a dusty portrait hanging above the fireplace; elegant curtains, which must be shading some windows; and a silent black and white TV showing Charlie Chaplain dramatically falling off a cliff.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes more. As I did, recalled what happened: being chased by some dudes, getting tranquilized, seeing a fire-breathing lion that passed through a brick wall, and having a nice, short chat with my imprisoned dad.

My hands reached for my back. My bow was gone. Then my hip. My dagger is gone too. You see, as an Altheanian, deadly things like these matter. I learned this since I left Althea.

"Awake?" a male voice said somewhere behind the curtains. A guy's sillohuette pulled back one of the curtains. What I saw first was the sun setting behind the Big Ben tower. It was kinda cool, actually.

Then the guy who spoke walked infront of the window. I couldn't see his face because the inadequate lighting in the room shadowed his face. I hope he's a friendly. Not monsterly.

"So, of all the people who would knock on my door, is Anthony Trace?" He chuckled as if he relished the fact that I did sort of "knock" on his door. Maybe he meant hugging his wall? I have a strong feeling the lion I saw was related to this dude.

He stepped away from the window and pulled the curtains over the window again. The room became antiquette and dark again.

"Tell me, what brings you here?" The mystery guy asked. He doesn't look like an adult. Actually, he sounded like twenty-one.

"I came here with Erlos," I said, which was a safe move.

His shadowy form nodded like he approve of that. "Yes, yes. The wolf. I suppose you wouldn't like to continue this conversation without light, correct?"

"Uh...I guess?"

He laughed for a second then he snapped his fingers. The flames in the fireplace's hearth burned brighter. Wall mounted candles lit up around us, lightning up the room. It showed a dark hallway braching from my left. The light illuminated everything - except the hallway - unmasking, our guy.

Who I saw wasn't even a bit scary. In fact, I knew who this person is, but never talked to him. But I had trouble putting down his name, but at least I knew what he is.

"You're the Pri-Guardian of Fira," I said.

"And...?"

"I kind of forgot your name," I said. "You never spoke when you were in the meeting whether to...y'now, kill me or not." Infact, I remember him bobbing his head up and down while he listened to something on his iPad 2.

He looked like what I thought him to be - a twenty-one year old guy. He had an Element skateboarding jacket, skater shoes and a black beanie on his head, which was kind of random. Fire red wisps of hair escaped from his beanie and dangled all over his face. He had a gnarly grin. Perhaps he doesn't get people much. Actually, why is he here anyway? Then I remembered, he got his land taken over. I guess he escaped or something.

"Alright. I suppose introduction matters. In Althea, knowing a person's name establishes trust. I hope you understand I'm here for good terms. So, without further delay...The name's Alexis Vanhelm, Pri-Guardian of Fira! Don't forget it." He spun a timepiece once, caught it and fire from the furnace roared behind him, like the thing's shocked that the "Great Alexis, Pri-Guardian of Fira" is standing before him.