Chapter VI: Orientation

Edited by: Silently

I figured out my day could, indeed, get crazier.

After the ceremonial speech, Bernard finally volunteered to explain to me what in the world an Edheros was.

"It's Greek for partner," he said.

"I have a talking dog for a partner?" I asked, incredulous.

"A talking wolf," Felix corrected, smirking in his wolfish way.

"Okay, whatever, but... a partner for what? Chemistry class?" I snorted.

"Hey! He talks like me," Felix barked.

"What do you mean?" I scowled.

"Our way of talking, not our voices. Duh."

I found it weird to talk to a wolf...but it felt almost normal, too. I mean, it felt like I'd done it before.

"Yeah, I feel like it is similar." I scratched my head. "Are you a relative or something?" Okay, that sounded like a crazy question - even I thought so; but the words had spilled out of my mouth of their own accord.

"Maybe this would help." The old man opened the glowing book again and this time the words were written in plain English.

'When a child is born, a new Edheros is born as well. The child and the Edheros will have the same traits, the same attitude, the same likes and dislikes; but an Edheros always takes the form of an animal, which depends on the child's ability. Fira wielders usually have Edheroses in the forms of lions, panthers, and cheetahs, all of which represent power. Aqua wielders most frequently have turtles, penguins, or polar bears as Edheroses, which represent defense. Terra wielders often have chameleons, lizards, or snakes - intelligence. Sora wielders are most commonly partnered with eagles, cats, and dragonflies - speed and agility.'

"Where're your Edheroses, guys?" I turned around and slowly figures became visible near Bernard, the old man, and Herald. Bernard tenderly cradled a polar bear as big as a basketball in his arms. A snake was coiled around the old man's neck, and a big panther with black fur sat by Herald's side.

"It's a usual delay," Herald said. "They'd been here all the time, but you can't see them. But now, since you're awakened, you can now see them

"I'm Grey," said the polar bear on Bernard's arms in a very cute voice. I wondered if he was describing the dingy state of his fur, or his name. Grey's his name, I concluded.

"France. I am France," hissed the snake.

"Call me Mr. Awesome!" The panther growled when Herald patted its head. "Fine, fine; the name's Kade," he grumbled. "What a party we have here!" the panther snickered.

It looked like a petting zoo; a snake, polar bear, and a panther, plus the wolf.

"Just shut up, Kade," Felix growled as if he'd read my mind. "I do not like cats," he added.

"Well, I'm a cat's ancestor-"

"Now, now; we don't want to have a fight in the Sacred Sanctuary of Awakening," the old man cut in. "Bernard, Herald, why don't you show the boy to his new room." He sighed deeply.

"Sure." Bernard made his way out of the place, with Herald following not far behind.

I was about to leave and go after them, but the old man gripped my shoulder and whispered, "Brace yourself, Anthony Trace." He patted me on the back and gestured for me to follow the two men. I brushed off his rhyme and walked out.