Chapter VIII: Preparation

I stared at Felix, watching the color in his brown fur bleed out and turn into something out of an 80's movie - black and white. 

"Hey, why are you guys staring at me?" Felix stared back at the people, and then his gaze flickered up to meet mine. 

"A message from another realm!" Nicholas exclaimed. 

Felix's stare held mine for a long time as his fur became entirely white and he grew larger; soon, he was able to reach my ribs easily, without even standing on his hind legs.  

"Greetings, people of Sorania." Felix's voice had changed from his usual timbre to the deeper voice of a newscaster. Everyone fell silent, even Nicholas, watching the canine's bright figure intently. 

"I bring news from Pri-Guardian Alfrey Trace. He has reported an unknown energy of darkness present throughout the 3721st region of dimensions. He calls on the four bearers of light. One from each kingdom: Fira, Sora, Terra, and Aqua. He will open a dimensional portal to the Kingdom of Tempora in thirty-one days; you have until then to prepare yourselves for a tournament to which only wielders are allowed. No warriors are allowed to enter the Temporian Kingdom. For the tournament, any weapon of the wielder's choice will be allowed. From each kingdom, there will be five contestants, making a total of twenty. The Temporian Kingdom already has five volunteers; these five include the soranian kingdom."

The canine paused, taking a second to let his gaze sweep across his captive audience. "Any breach in these rules will lead to space distortion in the offender's bathroom - seems that Master Trace still has a knack for jokes." When he paused, everyone laughed uncertainly. 

The canine grinned and continued. "Master Alfrey also sends his best regards to his son, Antonius Trace." he added, directing his gaze to my eyes. 

"Anthony," I said.

"That's what thy mother named you, but Master Trace prefers your original name," Felix admonished. 

"Alright, now can I have my wolf back?" I asked, ignoring his last remark. 

"As you wish. Remember Alfrey's words, all of you. He can joke, but he's certainly not joking about the distortion of your bathroom spaces; if or when that happens, your toilet bowl will probably be distorted to the bathroom's ceiling . . . so expect the dirty stuff to obey the law of gravity if that happens. Goodbye," the canine finished, shrinking into his former, thigh-high self; his dirt-colored fur, surprisingly vibrant after the snowy-white, returned. 

"Wow, I felt like I just said something funny." Felix shook himself, sending tufts of fur into the air. "Did I?" I just rolled my eyes at him. 

Nicholas stepped forward. "Before anything else of the supernatural sort happens, I would also like to welcome Keith Rose, wielder of fire, rescued from a near head crackin' situation involving-" Nicholas's eyes frowned, "Er, do the words 'bloody beasts of doom' make any sense?" Hearing a snicker, he said, "Charles, detention is at six; I'll see you then." 

A small laugh and a cheer came from the crowd. 

"Next month, it seems like the centennial choosing of the twenty bearers of light will take place. We will choose five Soranian wielders of class B to S ranking; we will start the test in three days to pick out our wielders." Nicholas sighed and quietly whispered in my ear, "It seems like your fate is already sealed, young one." 

"You are dismissed from the Dining Hall; prepare for Class Wars at midnight. Get some sleep and do whatever else it is that you do to get ready," Nicholas announced, then waved and left the stage.