Chapter Twelve

"Chelsea?" Calum asked behind me for the thousandth time as I ignored him and began to walk faster. "Would you talk to me?"

I felt his words hit me in the heart, but I had no choice other than to walk quicker to get to our Calculus class before he had. As I turned the corner, I heard his voice disappear, and then I was back into my happy place. I walked into my classroom, seeing Luke hitting his books with the back of his pencils to a beat of a song, as I made my way over to where he was seated.

"Excuse me." He scoffed. "It seems to be that my vision is impaired. Something beautiful has gotten into my view."

I smiled as he took out his headphones, and gave me a kiss, turning around as I sat behind him. Now that our seats were moved for the semester, I was glad that I would be able to sit behind Luke, and that Calum sat a row, and two seats behind me.

"What the f-" I heard Calum mutter. "Since when is this happening? And since when are we not together anymore?" He asked angrily.

"Since you didn't appreciate me. Luke appreciates me, don't you Luke?"

I kissed him on the cheek as he nodded his head yes, looking up at Calum.

"Look man, I can't tell you-"

"Save it Luke." Calum muttered, brushing by us. I heard him throw himself into his chair, grunting and letting out a deep breath of air. I put my head down, ashamed of what I had done to him and pondered if I had done the wrong thing.

I had the whole world in my hands, and I let it go. I let it go for a man that bullied me for five years, putting me through a complete living hell. I felt tears running down my cheeks, and I kept my head pressed to my shoulders. After the class had began, I peeked over my shoulder and looked at Calum. He had his head in his hands and was shaking his head back and forth. I looked at the blonde streaks in his hair as they swooshed back and forth, until he finally lifted his head up. His eyes were heavy and they shot right to me, lighting up once he saw me looking at him as well. I waved, then turned around, feeling tears rush to my eyes again.

"May I be excused?" I asked, looking down at the table.

"Yes." I heard my teachers sigh, as he continued his lesson. I made my way outside, not looking at anybody as I sat on the benches by the flower beds. I began crying, knowing I was wrong. I messed up, but I can't do anything now. It's over.

"Chelsea?" I heard somebody ask. "Please don't cry."

I looked up and was surprised to see Calum, standing above me as I put my head back into my hands since I was ashamed to show my face to him.

"I'm sorry." I cried. "I don't know what happened Calum. I was upset, and angry with you for all those things that you said, and Luke was the exact opposite."

"I said the wrong things at the wrong time." He mumbled, holding me and caressing my hair. "Don't worry Chelsea. I still love you, and I always will. You mean the world to me and I wouldn't be able to stop loving you since you're-"

"I love you." I smiled, hysterically laughing. "I love you, I love you, I love you. But I can't do this."

"Do what?"

"I can't break up with Luke."

"Why not?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

"I can't Calum. I can't go back to my life being hell, I can't-"

"You're over me?"

I sighed, putting my head on his shoulder, as I put my hands on the back of his neck. "No I'm not over you."

"So now what? What are we? Are we together, are we not?"

"Can we be secretly together?" I asked, receiving a 'no' from him.

"I can't do that."

"Please."

"Chelsea if we're dating I want to show you off. I want to kiss you at school, I want people to know, you're mine. Now look at your so-called boyfriend. Did he come outside to ask if you're okay? No. He didn't. I did."

"Please a secret for a little. Just until I can get Luke out of my hair, please Calum."

He sighed, putting his hands on my shoulders and softly pushing me backwards. "I can't."

"Calum." I cried. "Please. I just need some time."

"I think I need some time too." He muttered.

"No." I said firmly as he took my words the wrong way. "We aren't breaking up. We are not giving up on the spark that we know we have."

"I know we have it Chelsea but I'm losing it. You left me so easily instead of just coming to talk to me. How did you manage making Luke an option? He should've never even crossed your mind."

"Calum I know, but-"

"Chels there is no but. You gave up on our spark."

"No." I cried. "No Calum I didn't. It's still here I promise, I know it is, just don't- don't leave me, please just talk to me like you used to."

"I can't."

"Kiss me like you used to." I muttered, putting my hand under his jaw. "Love me like you used to."

He sighed, backing out of my reach as he stood up. "I can't. Because I can't imagine kissing a girl who let Luke kiss them."

"I didn't let Luke kiss me." I muttered as my tears stopped. "He kissed me because you weren't there for me."

"How am I supposed to be there for you? You left me at the library. You were obviously upset and hurt so I let you be by yourself. I didn't think you'd go and kiss up one of my friends."

I gave him a glare as I angrily wiped the spare tears from my cheeks. "Well." I said softly as my voice cracked. "I think you made it clear on how you feel about me."

"I love you."

"You don't." I laughed. "You think of me as property."

"I don't."

"You do Calum. You say you love me but how did you show it? Protecting me from my bullies? Wow. So heroic."

"Really?" He asked. "This is ridiculous. I can't argue with you anymore."

"This is not an argument." I protested. "Can you just listen?"

"There's nothing to hear."