Chapter 29

“Zane!” Bree rushed into the room but stopped when Zane put his finger to his lips from where he sat on the bed next to the form that was Mitzi. “Shh. She’s asleep.” At the command of his whisper, Bree crept softly over to the bed and knelt on the floor next to it.

He stood up and told her to do so as well, then walked with her back to the door and out into the hall.“Zane, I am so proud of you.You have befriended another human.And one that I love, too!”

“Yeah, well… it was you that showed me how sweet she was.I just never saw it until I let myself see it.” Zane looked down when he continued, somewhat sheepishly. “You know, with my trust issues, my hatred, my cruelty to humans…”

“Zane, she helped save you.She probably would have died for you.” Both Bree and Zane looked over at the sleeping Mitzi, her head sticking out from under the blankets.The rising and falling of her breathing could be seen.It was steady and gentle. “She was very brave to speak to you that night that you found her.You could have left her to be beaten by her husband.You could have used your fire on her and burned her along with the others.But, you didn’t. You had mercy on her.”

Zane smiled at Bree. “I’ve invited her to have dinner with you and my parents tonight.I think it is time she has something good and nutritious to eat.”Bree thought about how Zane’s slaves were rationed bread and water.Everything else they ate, they had to pick from the fields after the vampires had taken what they wanted.The same went for meat.They had to scrounge up what was left.Their diet was meager and they were forced to work long and hard. “But I thought our kitchen staff had been completely killed off by you.” Bree didn’t like to say it, but it was the inevitable truth.

“I have borrowed a chef and a few kitchen hands from Darius. They are accustomed to working hard to avoid punishment.I’d say Darius is next to me in how he treats his slaves.He has similar views.” Zane took Bree’s arm and led her from the room.They walked together down the wide hall of his quarters, then through a heavy bolted door to enter the rest of the castle.He took her to a great sitting room.It was large enough to serve as a ballroom.It was decorated in Victorian style with pale blue-greens and whites and gold.The floor was checkered marble, white and golden brown.The ceiling was lofty and very high and a large chandelier hung from the center. Paintings of clouds and sky graced it and branches of trees framed it.The room had a large entry into the hall that had windows big enough to flood that side of it with light.The other side of the room had its own windows, high and framed with gold floral filigree.

Bree looked all around her and up above as well.Zane watched her contentedly.“You’ve probably never seen this room.I figured you’d like it.I had it re-done before we married.You said you liked this color.”

“Zane, you are too good for me.” He then led her to a pair of chairs by the windows.When a house slave eventually walked by in the hall, Zane snapped his fingers loudly and called out to him.

“Go get us some coffee.Make sure it is the best and freshest brew. The cups and their saucers should match the room.”The thin slave bowed and hurried off back the way he had come.He returned several minutes later with a silver platter on which a silver pitcher sat.There were two delicate teacups and saucers on it, they were shining with an iridescence that reflected the colors of the room.Gold filigree framed the saucers and the handles of the cups were made of gold.On the platter was a decanter of cream and a small bowl of sugar with a silver spoon.He set it on the small table that sat between Bree and Zane.Bree noticed that he was trembling slightly.

“Is this everything that you desire, Master?”The man’s voice was quiet and afraid.

“Yes.Now go!” Zane shooed the slave away.He hurried out of the great room and headed in the direction he was originally going when Zane had stopped him.