Chapter 48

Bree stood behind Mitzi and worked her fingers through Mitzi’s hair as they gazed into a full length mirror.Jasmine was kneeling at Mitzi’s feet, checking the hem of her dress and pulling it over wide, rustling petticoats.Mitzi’s face was pink, flushed with nervousness, excitement, and even some fear. It would happen in less than an hour.She, once a vampire’s slave, would now become a vampire’s wife.

“I never realized how thick your hair was before.” Bree said as she started to roll parts of Mitzi’s hair into loose twists. “It will give me a lot to work with, it’s good.”

Jasmine was now pinning layers of silk up and securing them with soft violet roses.A middle aged female slave was quietly working on the train of Mitzi’ bone colored gown. It consisted of many layers of chiffon and silk and would billow behind her for several feet as she walked down the isle to meet her groom.She carefully pinned in an array of soft roses in various shades of violet, so they cascaded down the length of the train, becoming more abundant as they neared the hem, clusters of flowers in many shades of purple.

Bree, after pinning up some tresses of Mitzi’s hair, gave what remained down a final twist, pinning it so that long locks still spilled from the twist and fell in gentle curls down her back.

“I think there will be a lot of guests,” Jasmine spoke, “as many as were at your wedding to my son, Bree.” She sighed, then smiled. “Every vampire is joyful about this marriage, well, except for the single females who had hoped to someday be the bride of Darius...After all, he is the second most powerful vampire in this world, the close friend of the Emperor himself. But it is for that reason that nobody will go against his decision,” she reached up and patted Mitzi’s arm, “there is nothing to be worried about.Besides, Darius has eyes only for you, Mitzi, and everyone knows this. It is a happy day, a day of great celebration, probably as wonderful as Zane’s wedding was.”

Mitzi looked at Bree’s reflection in the mirror.“Bree?”

“Yes?”

“Were you afraid when you married Zane?”

“I was, for some of the same reasons as you are and for some different reasons than you are. But, you need not fear Darius. He loves you so.”

As Mitzi was preparing to walk down the isle of the huge gothic cathedral, she fidgeted as she stood out of sight, around the corner of the great doors to the cathedral. There were two slaves making the final adjustments to her appearance, pinning up loosened strands of hair, securing any roses that had came loose.Then, as the music of the great pipe organ sounded, Mitzi froze.“Ma’am,” whispered one of the slaves, “its time!”

But Mitzi was terrified.Her hands were trembling so much she thought she’d drop the bouquet of roses she held.The slave that had whispered to her gently pushed her forward.“You must go now.”

Mitzi then walked until she stood at the entrance to the cathedral.The lofty ceiling amazed and awed her, the grandness of it all.As she stood, waiting for the music to crescendo, the slaves were busy straightening out her train so that it would flow nicely behind her.

And then, the moment came.Everyone, all vampires, hundreds of them, turned to look at her as the music began to rise into a haunting melody.Mitzi had never seen so many people together at once before, she had never been a slave that was assigned the duties of serving at a ball or large party. Everyone’s faces were pale and beautiful, everyone was dressed exquisitely, the woman with their hair perfectly coifed and lavish jewels around their necks, the men in their finest attire.And, they were all waiting for her.

Mitzi began to walk the long, long wide isle towards the alter.Darius was waiting for her and when he saw her, he nearly cried from the sight of her beauty.Mitzi nearly passed out at the sight of him.He looked so grand, so strong, so intense.His blond hair was pulled back into a ponytail and he was wearing fine clothing. Mitzi looked at some of the vampires in the pews as they looked at her in awe of her beauty.Some of their faces were kind, others hard to read.Her beauty equaled, maybe even topped, that of the Emperor’s wife.