Chapter 41

The Journey….

It had been several days since Darius had started his journey.Zane had offered to go with him but Darius told him that he thought it best if he just went alone.He had to come to terms with his past, and he had to do it completely and utterly on his own. He had been thrown so suddenly and carelessly into vampirism alone.He needed to face it once and for all – alone.

As Darius traveled, he would pay short visits to other vampires along the way when he got hungry.Most vampires knew him or of him, he was the closest friend to that great vampire, the Emperor Zane, and as far as power and authority went, next in line to him as well.Since most, if not all, vampires got along with each other (something they were proud to have over their human inferiors), Darius had no problems when he needed to feed.And since he preferred to drain his victims, he compensated their owners well for them.

“Darius?”The door to the large home opened a crack, then all the way when the young girl saw who it was that stood there.Her eyes were huge in a gaunt face, she couldn’t have been more than twenty.She was dressed in a house slave’s uniform, a simple dress and apron in the colors of grey and maroon. Her eyes were green and her hair a pale blond, which was pulled back into a long, wavy ponytail.When the girl turned her head, Darius was surprised by the shininess of the girl’s hair.She was very thin and delicate, but not unhealthy, or she would not have hair like that.

“Child, why now would you address me with my first name?”

She turned back to him and stared, then apologized profusely. “Sir, please forgive me…”

Darius became irritated, he was not in a great mood and he was hungry.“Will you just get your master for me already?” He snapped.“And inviting me in would be quite polite as well!”

“Certainly, Sir Vampire- sir.”

“You know…” Darius pushed past the girl, then took her by the shoulders so she faced him. She gasped at his strong hold on her.“…in my castle, if a slave speaks without being spoken to, severe punishments are administered.” The girl sniffled back a small sob and tried to back away, and Darius released her.Her master then appeared behind her, a common vampire with silvery hair and dark, dark eyes. His wife then came up behind him.She was stately and demure and wore a fine dress made of black muslin.Her hair was jet black and her eyes also like coal.When she saw Darius, she curtsied deeply.

“Sir Darius, what a pleasant surprise!” The male vampire bowed before him. “Please do come in.” He then looked at his slave whom had answered the door. “I see you have met Annabelle.” He then shooed the girl away.She hurriedly disappeared around the wall that divided the foyer from the main hall of the house.“She is fairly new, her last master was quite lenient with her.” The vampire smiled. “I apologize if she wasn’t as formal as she should be, especially with you.I have to teach her her place around here.”

“Well, she definitely isn’t too aware of it yet.”

“I’m terribly sorry if she was not as respectful as she should be.” The female vampire stepped forward.“We only have ten slaves, so things can get a little informal.And it is quite rare that we receive a guest who is of such high caliber as yourself!”

“Well, I am only passing through, if I could stay for a night and maybe purchase one of your slaves, I would be most grateful.”

“Purchase a slave?” The female vampire looked confused. Her husband intervened then. “I’m so sorry, sir.I am Manual, and this is my wife, Elizabeth.”

“Manual, Elizabeth, you have a nice home and property here.I saw an orchard in the back when I came up.It is very cared for and quite beautiful.It reminds me of my own.”