Say Something

Chapter 27 - Say Something

ALEXIS BECKETT

Six days.

They both spent six days in Paris.

They would wake up late, dress up, go out, then come back again and end up in bed with each other.

But every unspoken word between them was pulling them apart.

Lexi could feel it. Even when Logan slept in her arms, she could feel him withdrawing.

He loved her. She knew that.

Although he didn't say those words exactly but his actions proved that he loved her.

But than what was the reason for him to pull away.

For the first five days, they were good. She couldn't imagine waking up and not seeing him beside her, ever. She had loved it when they walked down the road, holding hands. She had loved it when he bought her this ridiculously huge hat that was too big for her. She had loved all of it

She wanted to talk to him about what would happen to them after this. She was hoping he would like to hear what she had to say.

On the sixth day, Lexi woke up with a smile. Only to find herself alone in the bed.

She had slipped on his shirt, loving the way it smelled like him. It was two size bigger for her.

She searched the whole suite. He was nowhere. He had left a note. He had to be somewhere. So she could do whatever she wanted, was what he wrote on the note. He even left his credit card which grated on her nerves.

After all the things she had told him, he left her alone with the credit card. Didn't he know that she had a card of her own.

Never mind. Maybe he was just feeling sorry for leaving her alone.

But he could've woken her up. He should've, actually.

She felt weird. This was so not like him.

She rumaged through her bag and found out her sketch book that she carried everywhere.

Flipping the pages to a new blank page, she started drawing as new ideas kept flooding her mind.

*******

She was done with the twelfth sketch for her new collection when she looked up and out of the window.

The day was over, night had fallen.

She didn't even notice when the sun had began to set.

She closed her book and placed it back in her bag when she saw the cocktail dress she had packed in a hurry.

It was a gift from one of her fellow designers. Red tulle dress. Off the shoulder, half sleeved. It had an asymmetrical hemline.

It was simple yet elegant.

Logan must've been working. So she hoped she could take him out to dinner.

She all but ran to the bathroom to get ready.

An hour later, she stood in front of the mirror with a giddy smile. The dress was perfect. What would Logan think about it?

In all her haste she forgot about the reservation.

Calling Tess, she asked her to find the best restaurant and make reservation for two.

Tessa didn't say anything at first. But then she said, "You seem different. I am happy that you're happy." With that she hung up.

Lexi glanced at herself in the mirror one more time and then sat on the couch waiting for him.

She looked at her bare feet and then she suddenly remembered she had no sandals. She had slipped on her wedges earlier. But wearing those wedges on this dress would be complete disaster.

Slipping on those wedges and grabbing the purse, the key to the rental and the key card, she hurried out of the suite and in the elevator.

All the while she searched for some place to buy heels, she prayed for Logan to reach at the suite a little later than she did.

At last she found Louis Vuitton and all but ran in.

After paying for a pair of silver peep toe heels she ran back to the car and drove back to the hotel as fast as she could.

The moment she stepped inside her suite, she breathed a sigh of relief.

Logan wasn't there yet.

But then where was he?

One hour rolled into another and another and another.

She sat there on the couch, her heels kicked aside, her dress now askew as she sprawled on the couch and drank from a bottle of Tennesse.

She picked up her phone. It was two already.

She took another gulp from her bottle when a noise had her sitting straight.

Logan stumbled in.

"You're up." He slurred.

He was drunk.

All this while she waited for him, planned for a dinner, planned for a way to tell him that she loved him without choking, he was out drinking.

All she could feel was disappointment. Pain. Anger. Sadness. And a very big urge to cry.

Lexi had learned long ago not to get her hopes up. And not to expect anything from anyone. In the end hopes get crushed. And expectations are never met.

Still she repeated the mistake. She felt lost. Just like she felt everytime when she was sent to a new foster home with hopes of loving parents but then all of it would be crushed.

Logan stood there looking at her. His hair tousled. The top two buttons of his untucked, wrinkled shirt were open.

"Lexi-" he started.

"We're leaving first thing in the morning."

He remained silent.

Say something. Tell me to stay for a little while. she wanted to shout.

But Logan nodded his head.

"I booked tickets to the first flight in the morning. We leave at nine." He said.

At that moment, Lexi knew what it really meant to be hurt.

She reminded herself why she never got into a relationship. She knew this would happen. But still she took the leap. Now she had to suffer because this was her punishment.

"Good night." Lexi said in a monotone.

Logan nodded. Didn't say anything.

She stood up and walked back to the bedroom.

Stop me. Please. She wanted to plead.

But she didn't.

He didn't stop her.

She closed the door behind her the moment she entered the room.

And for the first time in seventeen years, Lexi let herself cry.

******