And A Bodyguard

Chapter 7 - And A Bodyguard

ALEXIS BECKETT

Alexis woke up with a damn bad headache. She always loved to rise with the sun. But today was an exception.

Yesterday, she had drowned in bourbon. And now, she had to suffer this hangover.

"You shouldn't have emptied that bottle."

"Spare me the lecture" Lexi croaked.

"I don't understand why it is always you that acts like the teenager, while I have to be your mom." Tessa placed a glass of water with a loud thump

She pulled Lexi's hand, and handed her two tablets.

"Not now, Tess. I need to sleep."

"I know. But take these first and then go back to sleep."

Lexi groaned but did as Tess said.

Few minutes later, sleep engulfed her.

**********

That evening, Lexi woke up. The pounding head ache now was just a dull throb.

Her blinds were always closed, since she loved to sleep naked. She snatched a silk robe from her closet and went downstairs.

First she went for a cup of coffee. Then thought better of it and made two.

She took both the cups and headed towards Tessa's room.

First thing she noticed was the blinds closed. Tessa never kept her blinds closed.

She was sitting on her bed, her headphones on and reading one of her novels.

When she spotted Lexi, Tessa completely dismissed her.

Lexi padded towards her and handed her the coffee.
Tess took it, took a sip and slipped a bookmark and snapped the book shut. She removed her headphones.

"Are you angry?"

"A little." Tessa mumbled.

"Why?" She said in a soft voice that her mother would use whenever Lexi came home from a bad day at school.

"I don't know. All I just know is that the show didn't go as you wanted. And I am angry that I didn't kick that asshole out. He's a CEO of his company. He is used to having his way. And you caved in. I am angry at a lot of things. I couldn't be even a tad bit helpful to you. I am angry at myself that I just couldn't give you anything when you gave me everything." A sob broke out of Tessa's lips and Lexi pulled her in a hug.

"No Tess. This is where you are wrong. You gave me a family. Without you I would've been lonely. You became my family, my friend. I am grateful to have you in my life, Tessa Cole."

Lexi held Tessa till she felt better.

"C'mon I'll cook dinner."

"No" Tess wiped her tears. "We don't want to burn down the kitchen let alone the whole house."

Lexi laughed "See? what would I do without you, Tess!" she kissed the top of her sister's head and let Tessa go to the kitchen.

That night, both of them watched a number of rom-coms. The Ugly Truth was their favorite movie.

Both the sisters fell asleep on the couch.

Alexis woke up to the smell of something delicious- with a damn bad backache.

The couch was small, it was actually a wonder how both managed to sleep on it.

Lexi walked into the bathroom, cracking her neck to remove the kinks. After getting fresh, she headed from the stairs where Tessa might already be making breakfast.

From the smell of it, Tessa was making pancakes, she guessed.

Tessa turned with the plates.

"Oh you're up already. I made pancakes. Help yourself with the coffee. And while you're at it, make me one to."

She set the plates on the table.

"What time is it?" She asked, stifling her yawn as she placed both the coffee cups on the table.

"10" Tessa replied back just before she scooped a piece and placed it in her mouth.

After the breakfast, Lexi decided to have a nice bath in her bathroom, which was actually as big as her room.

The tiles were heated since in winter, it would get too cold and Lexi hated getting her feet cold.

After having a nice warm bath in a tub full of hot water, she felt better. She doned her favorite denim jumpsuit, that ended just above her knees, she went downstairs as she pulled her hair in a side braid.

Lexi finally noticed that the windows were closed, covered by the curtains.

Tessa was sprawled on the couch, reading a novel.

Lexi shook her head but proceeded towards the door.

There was a lot of light, flashes, clicks and a heck of a lot people talking all at the same time, as she opened the door.

She rushed inside and closed the door. She tried to calm her too- fast- beating heart.

"Shit. Forgot to warn you." Tessa rushed towards her.

"What. The. Hell. Is. That?" She said between deep breaths.

"That, my dear, is the sole reason why we hid you from the public." Tessa grumbled as she gestured to the close doors.

"After you decided to finally show your face to the public as the fashion designer and the founder of Mirage, you became a celebrity. Now these hawks will stalk you and try to figure out every single thing about you. They'll want to know what you do, why you do, what you think, where you live, which apparently, they figured out. How? I don't know. You will be the one they'll be talking about. You are a new celebrity- for them. They'll be talking about you for a few weeks. "

"Shit. How am I supposed to go out without them following me?"

"Go through the garage. They won't break the glass of your car window to ask you questions. Atleast I hope so."

"Shit, I am screwed."

"We are screwed. They're going to dig in our past and display everything since they love to broadcast everything for everyone to gossip."

"Tessa. I think I figured something. "

"What?"

"I think we need to buy a house with back doors." She shook her head and smiled a bit as Tessa had been bugging her to buy one of those expensive condos since she could finally afford them. Or maybe she could but those houses with big gates.

"And a bodyguard" Tessa perked up.

Lexi broke out into a fit of giggles.

They definitely needed a new place.

And as Tessa suggested,

A new bodyguard.