Chapter 7.2 - His Reasons to Die

I sobbed like a child when I heard the news, that my father died, my mother left me alone to cope with it as she went to go to the morgue. I was at the treehouse, hearing a knock after a few minutes passed. I didn’t move to know who it was, I knew it was Vin. 

“Hey, shortstuff, I know it’s my birthday and all but -“ he said, peering through the gap, and he flipped the entire door open and rushed to me.

“Morgan! What happened?!” he asked, I shook my head sobbing. He kneeled in front of me and took me in his arms. One hand on the back of my head, stroking my hair.

“He’s gone, Vin. He’s just gone.” I sobbed.

“Shhh, it’s okay, everything is going to be okay.” he whispered. “Say nothing no more, everything will be okay.”

He kept saying comfortable words until I wasn’t crying anymore. We both sat on the floor, I was right beside him with his hand around me. The silence was comforting.

“I can’t really relate to you.” he suddenly said. I looked at him, urging him to go on. “I wish my dad was dead.”

“Why?” I asked. He shook his head with a sad smile.

“You’re too young to understand.” he spoke softly, like he was unsure if he should be saying any of this to me.

“You’re only ten, I think you’re pretty young too.” I said, he chuckled at that. He looked at me in the eyes and ruffled my hair.

“Alright, shortstuff. Here’s how it is. My dad beats me up on a regular basis, he takes out his anger on me. I personally hated him the moment he married my stepmom. You see everything went downhill for him when my mom died due to an illness and he’s never really the same. My stepmom is good person, she’s the only one who stops him from beating me up. I get where he’s going though, he lost someone he love. But his actions, they aren’t justified by what he’s going through. Not really.

“Over a year ago, the time that I came by here, I was supposed to run away. But then I met you, and you just gave me a reason to stay a little longer. Thank you.” he whispered the last part, looking at me with tears in his eyes.

“I didn’t know.” I said, tearing my eyes away from him. “If he still beats you up, why did you stay? You should have ran away. I don’t like you getting hurt.”

“But I wanted to see you every day, I wanted to talk to you, and play with you and I didn't know it would take me this long to realize that..." he trailed off.

"Realize that...?" I mimicked him trailing off, he took my hand and looked at me right in the eyes and said.

"Realize that I like you, like like you, like you. I don't know if love is what you call it but I don't know what love is like, or being in love so I'm sure but I really like you, and if they asked what love is to me or if I experienced it before, I would say you came in pretty close." he said with eyes brighter than the sky on fourth of july.

"I know this is awkward, and I don't expect you to feel the same way -" he got cut off when I kissed him on the cheek. I pulled back to see his face, to say he was stunned would be an understatement. He was so speechless.

"I just died and got resurrected again." he stammered. My eyes widened and started apologizing.

"I'm sorry, I didn't, I'm so sorry." I started wiping his cheek, he took my hand and held it close to his face.

"What are you apologizing for?" he grinned.

"I thought you died...?" I said. He started laughing at me.

"It was because of happiness, you made me the happiest guy in the entire world!" he almost shouted and pulled me for a hug. "Best birthday ever.”

00:03:12