Chapter 7.1 - My Final Reason

I heard the music first, then somebody humming, everything was too bright for me to see anything clearly. I blinked my eyes to adjust my eyes to the lights. Then I knew exactly where I was, the old abandoned treehouse that I used to play in when I was a child, it was built in our backyard when we moved in, of course my dad had to do some repairs but after he finished it, it was like paradise to me. My own little castle.

That day though was my birthday and I planned on spending my morning hours singing with my horrible voice, I was 7 back then and didn't know how to spend my birthday, I didn't have any friends and it was only my dad, mom and I that celebrated it. They were still out and won't come back until much later.

I had my own little world, I watched my past self prance around the room singing dancing queen. My little old self went over to the guitar by the corner, of course I didn't know how to play it, I just strummed like a mad woman and made all the noise that I wanted since no one would find me or care if I sang on top of my lungs, off-key and way out of tune.

I was too distracted that I didn't notice the nine year old boy climbing up, he blinked a couple of times and pulled himself up fully and leaned against the wall, staring and smirking at me. He coughed, and my eyes snapped up to meet his, and I jumped from my seat, dropping the guitar.

He immediately lunged at me, I ran to the corner but to my surprise to went to pick up the guitar, cradling it in his arms.

"Oh my gosh, baby are you okay? I'm here, don't worry! Everything is fine now! I am here! Don't die on me!" he wailed, examining the guitar. He turned to give me a scowl. "Now it isn't polite to drop a beautiful instrument, you know?"

I just stared at him with wide eyes not really knowing what I should be doing.

"So what's your name?" he smiled.

"G-get out!" I yelled.

He shook his head no, tutting like a parent scolding a child. "Now, now, that isn't polite. Didn't your parents ever teach you manners?"

"Y-yeah, they... they said never talk to strangers!" I stuttered.

"Well I'm no stranger! I'm your new neighbor! My name is Vin! Nice to meet you!" he held out his hand for me to take, I looked at it wearily. He pulled it back, frowning when I didn't take it. "You're not really fond of people aren't you?"

I shook my head, still up against the wall, inching myself as far away from him as possible.

"Well, that's alright. Me neither." he grinned. "How old are you?"

"I just turned seven today." I muttered, his eyes lit up and he grinned. He placed the guitar in his lap, and started strumming.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you!" he grinned. I just stared at him fascinated that he knows how to play. He stopped strumming, and then stared at me to find my face looking at the guitar in fascination. "I could teach you if you like."

My eyes widened with enthusiasm and rushed over beside him. "Well aren't you eager?" he asked, quirking his eyebrow. "I'm nine by the way, I've been playing since I was five."

"Well aren't you arrogant?" I quirked an eyebrow at him.

"Before I teach you, can I know what your name is?" he asked.

"My name's Morgan." I said, not all too shy anymore.

"Nice to meet you! I heard you singing so I thought I'd see what the fuss was about. Didn't think you were small though." he chuckled, I glared at him.

"I am not small!" I said, puffing out my chest and standing up straight like I was taller than him which was impossible since by far he was taller than me.

"Keep telling yourself that, short-stuff."

"Don't call me that!"

"Okay that's what I'll call you now, short-stuff." he grinned as I continued to glare at him. "Sorry for barging in here, I was just bored." he scratched the back of his head.

"It's alright, I'm alone for most of the time." I shrugged.

"Really? Why don't you have any friends?" he asked, his eyebrows furrowing.

"People really don't like me." I said in a quiet voice.

"Oh, I wonder why... well not everyone doesn't like you."

"They do too." I said rolling my eyes.

"But I like you, Morgan. Let's be friends!" he grinned.

I was taken aback by what he said and grinned. He taught me to play the entire day until my mom and dad called me to come down.

We celebrated my birthday with Vin. It was the last happy memory I had with my family. Everything went downhill from there.

00:04:00