"Follow Me"

(His point of view)

"You are quite lost, Brother," his voice whispers. I struggle against his restraint before allowing myself to focus in on his face. He releases me and backs away a few slight steps.

"Byleistr," I hiss, glaring at him. I am about to charge him, but he holds up his hands.

"Please, Loki. I am not here to fight." He stares at me, pleading with his expression. I allow my eyes to glance down his towering figure, briefly noticing the substantially sized bandage wrapped around his lower torso. I do not falter in my harsh stance, though I am feeling a tad bit confused.

"You seek the Princess," he states in a matter of fact tone. I feel my eyes widen just a fraction from hearing his unexpected statement. I cannot help but let my tensed shoulders relax just a bit. He lowers his hands, sensing my creeping calm.

"I can take you to her. You will never find her if you do not let me help you. Trust me, there is no time to waste." His words send a terrible wave of fear through me. What does he mean?

I am conflicted. I do not know if I should heed his word. Is he just attempting to trick me under Helblindi's orders? Is he going to lure me into a trap? Should I trust him? Should I follow him?

The familiar voice from before whispers in my head. "Follow him, Loki."

I finally let out a heave of air, nodding to him. He offers me a slight smirk before turning on his heel.

"Follow me, and keep quiet," he quietly orders. I remain as a Jotun form as I follow in his footsteps. He leads me to what seems like a completely opposite part of the palace. We go down several lingering and barren hallways before coming to a rather lengthy descending set of stairs. As we come to the bottom, he stops dead in his tracks and shoves me against a nearby wall.

"Shh!" He growls under his breath. I do not resist him. He releases me before bringing a finger up to his lips, further motioning for me to remain silent. I watch as he creeps around the nearby corner before looking in both directions. Then, he disappears out of my line of sight, but I listen as his footsteps move to the left.

"Your Highness! What are you doing here? War is upon us!" I hear a low growl of a voice echo through the hall.

"Helblindi has summoned for all remaining soldiers to move up to the battlefield. The enemy is gaining, and we need more to fight!" Byleistr's stern and fibbing voice suddenly causes me to smirk. It would seem that skillful lying runs in the family....

I hear vastly approaching footsteps. I am almost too late as I disguise myself as a random statue before a handful of armored Jotun soldiers pass by me. Thank gods they did not notice.....

As soon as they have gone out of earshot, I allow my Jotun form to return. Then, I feel him grabbing my arm and pulling me out into yet another hallway. It is even darker down here. Colder. Much, much colder. Rank with death and emptiness. Has she been forced to be kept down here in such a treacherous hel? 

"Where are you taking me?" I finally ask, desperate for answers. I yank my arm away from his grasp but do not stop in following him as he leads me onward. 

"I am taking you to her," he answers in a muted hush. "She has been kept deep within the palace since she was brought here." My mind prickles at the mention of her.

"Is she alright?" I ask, barely able to breathe. He suddenly stops before turning to completely face me. His face wears an expression of utter remorse and pain. It instantly causes for my heart to drop into my stomach. This cannot be good.

"Loki, she is...." but I cut him off as my panicked rage takes flight. I grab his neck, shoving him against the wall.

"What?! She is WHAT?!" I am fuming with anger as my Jotun form only bleeds further into my skin.

"You had better not tell me that she is dead. She is not...." Dead....please for the love of gods....please tell me that she is not dead....

"Loki. Please... pinning me against this wall will not help matters." I sigh out a heavy breath before finally releasing him.

"She is still alive, Brother," he whispers. I practically whimper from hearing his response. He turns to begin walking down further along the hallway. We walk for ages, passing by several seemingly empty cells. Finally, we come to yet another set of stairs. He halts only long enough to wave his hand at me from over his shoulder to continue in following him. I do not hesitate as my desperation to see her again overpowers me.

We make our way down the steps. As we descend, I am almost paralyzed by the increasing cold that seeps into my skin, even in my Jotun form. As soon as we come to the bottom, he leads me out into a small, round room. But he stops once again, holding out a hand. He turns to look at me, his eyes brimming with perilous dread.

"Loki, I must warn you." My breathing hitches from the warning within his tone.

"What you are about to see...."

I shove past him, not even caring to hear any more of his words. I see a wooden door just ahead. There is a large, golden lock weaving through its handle. Bits of rust line its outer, rounded edges. A golden lock.....

I stop, hesitating at the sight of it. I could not get to her....In my dream, this lock kept me from getting to her....

I hear his footsteps as they move in closer to my side. Then, I watch as he steps forward and summons a key from beneath his armor before inserting it into the keyhole.

"Loki," he whispers. I am panting, practically driven mad from the anxiety of seeing her again.

"Loki, please. You must prepare yourself..."