Torn Emotions

(His point of view)

Another week has passed without so much as a single inch of movement from my Beloved. She remains stone still, breathing evenly in her possibly infinite slumber. Branye and Kendha have both taken turns applying lavender oil to Christine's lips so as to hopefully allow her sleep to be all the more soothing and peaceful.

I am alone with her at present, sitting in a chair that I have pulled up beside the bed. One of her hands rests over my lap, as I sketch meaningless shapes over her frail skin. Christine....my Love.....I am so sorry.....

A light knock emits from the doors. I do not even bother to turn to see who it is as my eyes are still glued to that of her precious hand lying on my leg. I hear heavy footsteps making their way closer, thus confirming my sudden suspicion. Link...

He moves around to the other side of the bed and sits on its edge.

"No change?" his deep voice asks in a hushed whisper. I shake my head, taking her hand in both of mine and bringing it up to my mouth. I kiss the tenderness of her porcelain skin several times, closing my eyes.

"Surely she will awaken soon," he states. I open my eyes finding that he has taken her other hand and is holding dearly to it. His other hand makes its way up to her cheek, gently caressing it.

"She is so pale," I whisper whilst look to her face. I can feeling the pain rising in my chest.

"At least she is able to rest peacefully," he states. I am barely hanging on to my composure as he continues to observe her.

"If she never awakens, I will never forgive myself, Link," I choke, squinting my eyes tightly shut. I press my cheek to the open palm of her hand, wishing like hell that she could curl her fingers around me like she always did.

"And if she awakens, she will never forgive me." He does not respond at first. But after a few long moments, I hear him sigh loudly.

"You underestimate her yet again, Loki," he says. I feel as he averts his eyes to me from her face. I finally chance a look at him.

"Love does not alter in trying times, Brother. Yes, you hurt her. But that will not cause her affections for you to suddenly diminish. She loves you unconditionally, and yes. She WILL awaken. Her strength and her will are far too stubborn for any other action."
He chuckles a little as he mentions his dear sister's hard headedness.

"And in time, she will forgive you." I shake my head. I want to believe him more than anything but.....how can I?

"How can she? After the atrocious things that I said....I have hurt her so gravely. What if.....what if she decides that she......" I almost gag as the sudden thought of the wedding randomly comes to mind.

"D...doesn't want to marry me?"

Oh my gods...... What will I do if she decides to postpone it? What if she decides to call it off all together? What if.....she decides that she no longer wishes to be mine at all?

"Apparently, you have forgotten the true meaning of love, Loki. Put yourself in her place. If she had said those things to you, would you be able to hate her? Even if what she said tore you apart, would your love for her remain?" I blink my eyes, feeling empty tears threatening to build. I hesitate for a moment, processing his words. No...I could never hate her. Never...

"No, Link. Nothing in this world or any other could take away my love for her." A small smile tugs at the corner of his mouth. It is the first time he has smiled at me at all since that awful day.

"I know," he mumbles. I want to smile back, but all I can do is reel over the fact that he is actually having a REAL conversation with me again. This suddenly brings a question to my mind.