Chapter 40

Dominic's POV
I just wanted to hide and not have to see Florence ever again.
But I didn't want him to leave, I liked having him around.
He didn't like having me around though.
As I mingled through my thoughts I sat on a white and gray brick wall that surround a variation of colorful flowers that grew in perfect uniformed rows.
Gardeners moved past me, doing their daily duties of watering the plants and making sure there was no unwanted vegetation in site. Gardeners uniforms were the only ones that weren't a perfect white, instead their uniform was a dark brown to keep from anyone noticing dirty on them.
"Well brother," I jumped slightly as Bradford popped his hand harshly onto my shoulder and sat on my left "I would have thought you would be to busy with Florence to be sitting about in the garden. Especially since you've missed all your dinners."
I shrugged not wanting to speak in fear my voice would crack.
Bradford thankfully realized that I wasnt in the mood for talking and just sat beside me, leaning back so he could look at the blue sky above us.
We sat in silence for along while, watching the occasionally bird peak about in the garden and the gardeners snipping unwanted plants away.  
"Father asked why you weren't at dinner last night, seems he finally noticed you weren't there."
"Oh? What did you tell him?" I put my elbows on my knees as I said this and rested my head in my hands.
Hopefully Bradford didn't tell my father that I was doing something with Florence, I did not want my father asking me about him.
"Said that you weren't feeling good, but he didn't really care you know how he is when Evander is gone." Bradford sighed deeply and patted me on the back.
I nodded in agreement. My father did have a very clear favorite and that was Evander.
Evander was the oldest, the smartest, the fastest, the strongest, and pure perfection in my father's eyes. I for one agreed that Evander was the strongest, but Bradford could beat anyone in a foot race, but my father never attended any of Bradford's events; only asked if he had won then forgot about it.
Bradford said I could outsmart Evander if I wanted to, but I don't agree.
"So are you going to talk about it or cry in the garden?" Bradford broke the silence as a maid walked away from us after bowing.
"Talk about what?" My voice didn't sound as heartbroken as I expected it to be.
Bradford rolled his eyes, "Evander had the same look on his face when that pretty noble girl turned down his marriage proposal two years ago."
I remember that. Evander was heartbroken because of that, but with him he had known the girl for years and had deep feelings for her. I just slept with Florence once.
"I don't think its the same thing." I stared at my white shoes on the white brick. Florence was right about everything being white.
"Different amount of time, same heartbreak." Oh he for sure knew why I was upset.
"What do you know about heartbreak?" My voice cracked a bit near the end.
"Hey I don't know about a girl or guy snapping your heart in twine, but I have shot myself in the foot and I think it's around the same pain."
"Well then help me oh great love expert."