The Cat

The gentle morning sun rose, revealing a Monday morning. Alex was awoken from the light shining through the window. He sat up and yawned, rubbing his eyes. He would have a day full of chores, so he'd have to be quick if he wanted to bring Tiffany to her ballet class. 

Sleepily, he got up and went downstairs, ready to make breakfast. On his way down, he picked up the glass bottles on the stairs. His dad was drinking last night, again. He put the bottles into the recycling bin, and made a few pancakes. After laying out the table, he went outside to get the mail. 

"Just another ordinary day," he sighed. He stood on the driveway, looking around the peaceful neighbourhood. He felt something soft rubbing against his legs. Looking down, he saw a stray cat with pitch black fur and eyes the color of the ocean being strangely affectionate. It purred as Alex pet it. "Well  there's something unusual. The cats here usually hiss at me.

Without any warning, the cat suddenly jumped up, snatching the letters from Alex with its mouth. It stared at Alex for a moment before running down the street. Alex was stunned. Now knowing what else to do, he shouted after it. "Hey! Get back here and give me those!" He chased after it, following it down a dark alley. The alley was closed off, and Alex thought he had finally cornered the cat. As he slowly approached it, the mischievious cat stared at him once more, before it leaped into the wall and disappeared

Alex's mouth opened in surprise. "Am I still dreaming?" he thought. He walked up to the wall, looking for any illusions. He carefully reached his hand out and to his surprise, it went through the wall! He looked behind him, and saw an empty alleyway. He hesitated. He held his breath, and slowly reached his whole arm through the wall. Before he knew it, he was in a completely different land. 

There were lots of people around, going about with their lives. This place seemed normal, except for one very big difference. 

"Is that cat....flying?"