First Day of School

The canteen was quite empty. Apparently, people of different ages would have their classes at different times. Only after they sat down, Alex noticed that there wasn't a place to buy the food from. As he looked around confused, Felicia said, "Alex, you're new right? Let me show you how this works." She opened the menu on the table and chanted a spell. A plate of waffles with ice cream on top magically appeared in front of her. "You see, you open the menu, look for what you want to eat, then chant the spell. After you're done eating, put the money on the plate. When you stand up, it will disappear. If you don't pay, the next time you dine, when you chant a spell, your previous empty plate will just appear in front of you." Alex nodded, and opened the menu. He decided to have bacon and eggs. He chanted the spell listed, and his order appeared in front of him. "Wow! This is amazing!" he exclaimed.

After a hearty breakfast, it was time to get to class. "Hey Alex, what is your first class? I might be able to show you where your classroom is before I go to my own class." Felicia offered. Alex pulled out his timetable and checked the schedule for Monday. "It seems like I'll be having Magical Defence first." Felicia smiled. "I'm having that too. Come on, follow me. I'll lead you to the class."

When class started, a tall young man walked in and introduced himself. "Hello class. I'm Mr. Hamlin and I will be your magical defence teacher for this semester." Alex saw that he was wearing an owl charm around his neck. "Now," he continued, "Let's start off by learning the most basic spell - the magical shield. This spell will make a magical barrier in front of you, and deflect the spell onto your attacker. Let's start now, shall we?" Everyone nodded their heads. "Okay. First, everyone choose a partner. We will be doing this exercise in pairs." A girl, who was wearing loads of makeup, had plucked eyebrows and manicured nails, gasped loudly. "Exercise? Teacher! We aren't going to sweat, are we? My perfect little body would smell after that! I must be allowed to sit this one out!". Alex took an immediate dislike towards her. Felicia whispered to Alex, "That's Claire. She always thinks she's too perfect for anything. Always trying to get out of doing work, physical activities and stuff. She thinks that she's in a way higher league than us. Stay away from her unless you want to get 50 pounds of makeup on yourself." Alex smirked and nodded. Meanwhile, Mr Hamlin sighed. "For the last time, Claire, we are not going to sweat. Although it might be good for you to exercise a little more, seeing as you're a little plump." Everyone, except Claire, laughed. Claire was furious. "How DARE you!? I will have my father file a report to the headmaster and she'll fire you!" she shouted. Alex snorted. Like his mother would ever fire an innocent person. "Who snorted at me!? I will have the headmaster expell you!" Claire continued. Alex decided to speak up. "Or maybe she won't. And she won't fire our teacher, either." He said. Claire made a disgusted face. "Excuse me, who do you think you are? You will definitely be expelled after this!" Alex smirked again. "I'm pretty sure I won't get expelled. As for who I think I am, I am the headmaster's son, thank you very much." Claire gasped. The entire class went silent. They were all looking at Alex. Mr Hamlin cleared his throat. "Maybe this young man would like to introduce himself?" Alex nodded his head and stood up. "Hey guys, my name is Alex. I'm 15 years old, becoming 16 on the 14th of December, although I consider myself to be already 16. I hope we can all be friends." He then sat down. "What were you thinking, messing with Claire!? Do you really want to get 50 pounds of makeup or something!?" Felicia whispered. Alex whispered back, "Nah, someone just gotta put Claire in her place." Mr Hamlin spoke, a bit too loudly this time. "Alright then, let's get on with the class.".

2 hours later, Alex saw Tiffany and rushed up to her. "Tiffany! How's your first day going?" Tiffany's voice was filled with enthusiasm. "It's going great, actually! I made a few new friends and the classes were okay! How about yours?" Alex smiled. He was glad his little sister was doing okay. "It was okay, I guess. I put a really snooty girl in her place. It was fun." Tiffany giggled. It was just like her brother to do that. She was glad her brother wasn't depressed anymore. As they walked back to their own dorms, they chatted before they had to separate. Right before they separated, they hugged each other. They were both glad about how the other was doing, but were both bothered by the same feeling. Was it possible that their dad was worrying about them? Or did he truly not care about them at all?