Part 4

Baz

Simon didn't stop and my head was starting to feel light but I couldn't speak and if I could have what would I have said? It was his blood, it shouldn't have be in me anyway. My knees went weak and I wobbled but didn't fall, he noticed and Simon's face filled with worry and his fangs immediately retracted.

"Shit! I'm so sorry, that wasn't - oh shit!"

He couldn't form a sentence and neither of us were really in the shape for walking but we had to. I unplugged the morphine and blood from Simon's arms and eyed the blood a few times before giving in and gulping it down, it was richer than usual because Simon had taken too much blood from me. I needed to hunt and I imagine he did too.

Simon

Baz took my hand gently and threw the bag on the floor. We walked out of the door as though we had a purpose because, I suppose, we did. All of those people around me made my body burn, they were all so loud, I wanted to stop them all from talking and to stop their hearts from pounding in my ears. They were so loud, I couldn't breathe. I was panicking. First action as a vampire? Panic attack. Way to go, Simon.

I was unaware of my body moving through out the crowds but I could hear some doctors yelling my name and "blood." That's all I wanted to hear, "blood, blood, blood." Why was my brain doing this? Was the old me dying? Or was he already dead? Is this how Baz felt all of the time because then I wouldn't blame him for his suicidal feelings back when he tried to burn himself and me in the forest. Our first kiss.

We stopped.

We were surrounded by trees as though I had stepped into the memory.

"Simon," Nothing registered, I didn't feel a connection with the word. It was repeated several times. A hand slapped my cheek but right then I didn't even know, I was in a daze but it was quieter here. Only one heart beat.

"Blood, Simon," My head snapped up and there was Baz holding a child, a human child. Fangs filled my mouth and tears filled my eyes. The child moved forward with her neck exposed to me. I could hear her pulse and with one bite everything would be okay, I would be satisfied. I moved forward and my fangs touched the surface ready to pierce.

No, it was my voice screaming, she's a child, you prat!

I pulled back, fangs still prominent and shook my head at Baz walking backwards, walking away. That was a little girl, a Normal and I had nearly killed her. He had done nothing to save her. The girl ran.

"What the fuck, Baz? I just nearly killed a kid!"

"Simon, I would have saved her but you needed control. You need to be able to control yourself around humans without your fangs just popping out, okay?"

I realised they were still out but they wouldn't go away and my throat wouldn't stop burning. Baz walked to me smiling, he held on to my cheeks and looked deep into my eyes. Everything in me turned to jelly. My fangs went back in and his lips caressed mine softly. He bit gently on my bottom lip and tugged it with him as he leaned away from the kiss.

"What do you hear?"

"You," I whisper.

"That's it?"

"Yes."

The girl appeared then from only two metres away and her heart beat was silent. My hunger had not left and I still felt weak but Baz had helped me control myself around one human and that was a small victory in itself. He disappeared into the trees and the child stayed with me, Baz was an idiot. Too much trust.

He came back only seconds later dragging a deer for me. I emptied it in mere moments and then he went and got three small rabbits for himself. I felt better already and I could focus on things other than blood. I noticed that the child was actually one of Baz's younger sisters, though I couldn't remember her name.

I was still too hungry to remember much at all. I needed blood.